Therapy With Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Clients, Gender Queer, Two-Spirit, & Intersex
Resources & References
This resource page is part of three Online Courses
Diversity: Beyond Cultural Competence in Psychotherapy With the LGBT Population
LGBT: Psychological Realities and Culturally Competent Therapy with LGBT Clients and Their Families
Transgender, Gender Queer, Two-Spirit & Intersex: Ethical Mental Health Services with Gender Variant Clients
CE Credits for Psychologists. CE Credits (CEUs) for LMFTs, Social Workers, Counselors and Nurses.
CE Approvals by BBS-CA, ASWB, NBCC, NAADAC, CA-BRN & more.
Zur Institute is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Zur Institute maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Milestone & States' Legislations
Top of Page
Articles & Online Resources
- Allies & Angels, a story of strength, compassion and unconditional love, sharing how these parents supported their son's transition and the lessons learned along the way.
- APA: Anti Same-Sex Marriage Amendments Spark Psychological Distress among GLBT Adults and Their Families
- APA Policy Statement: Resolution on Opposing Discriminatory Legislation & Initiatives Aimed at Lesbian, Gay, & Bisexual Persons
- APA: Practice Guidelines for LGB Clients
- APA: Guidelines for Psychotherapy with Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Clients
- APA's Answers to Your Questions About Individuals with Intersex Conditions
- APA's Answers to Your Questions About Transgender People, Gender Identity, and Gender Expression
- APA, Div 44 Newsletters
- APA, Div. 44 Fact Sheet: Gender Diversity and Transgender Identity in Children
- APA, Div. 44 Fact Sheet: Gender Diversity and Transgender Identity in Adolescents
- Art Therapy Multicultural / Diversity Competencies (2011)
- College Guide for Current and Prospective LGBT Students: Many Colleges Have Adopted a Culture of Respect for the LGBT Community. This Guide Will Get You Started On Your Search For a Comfortable School Environment.
- Bending the Mold: An Action Kit for Transgender Youth. Lambda Legal.
- Culture, Race and Ethnicity
- Davina Kotulski's Authored Articles Page
- Davina Kotulski's Book Love Warriors
- Families In Transition: A Resource Guide for Parents of Trans Youth – Central Toronto Youth Services
- Families Like Mine: Excellent site for children of GBLT parents.
- Few Psychological Problems for Kids of Lesbian Mothers
- Gender Creative Kids: Providing resources for supporting and affirming gender creative kids within their families, schools and communities, based in Canada.
- Genderfork: Supportive community for the expression of identities across the gender spectrum.
- Gender Odyssey Family: Organization dedicated to the education and support of families raising gender variant, gender non-conforming, gender-fluid, crossgender, and transgender children and adolescents.
- Gender Spectrum: Provides education, training and support to help create a gender sensitive and inclusive environment for all children and teens.
- GLSEN - The Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network: Strives to assure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression.
- Harsh Realities: The Experiences of Transgender Youth in Our Nation's Schools (NSCS, 2009). A report detailing in-depth experiences of transgender students by
Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN)
- I AM: Trans People Speak: a campaign created by the Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition (MTPC) and sponsored by GLAAD to raise awareness about the diversity of transgender communities.
- International Federation for Gender Education (IFGE): Leading Trans oriented web site. News, events, publications worldwide
- Intersex Society of North America: Provides parents tips on how to advocate and care for their intersex child. Provides information and FAQ questions, statistics, legal information, and suggested reading.
- Just Gender: an educational film that tackles the world of transgender.
- KidsInTheHouse – interesting and useful videos, articles and links regarding gender non-conforming children. Meet Johanna Olsen, MD
- Knowing yourself: Cultural Differences and Self- Awareness
- Mermaids: Family support for children and teenagers with gender identity issues.
- National Center for Lesbian Rights: National legal organization committed to advancing the civil and human rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people and their families.
- National Center for Transgender Equality: Dedicated to advancing the equality of transgender people through advocacy, collaboration and empowerment.
- National Transgender Law Institute: Transgender legal affairs activist site. Weekly announcements of changes in state or federal law affecting trans people. Searchable database on college and employer transgender policies, hate crime laws.
- OPM.gov: Guidance Regarding the Employment of Transgender Individuals in the Federal Workplace
- Our Trans Children, Published by the PFLAG Transgender Network (TNET).
This should be the first publication given to any new parents, family, or friends of anyone coming out as transgender.
- Parent Guide: If You Are Concerned About Your Child's Gender Behaviors…
- Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
- PFLAG Transgender Network:
- The Agony of Nurturing the Spirit A mother's true story of raising a transgendered child
- The Reparative Therapy Debate: Political Research Associates. Reparative Therapy: Idealized Heterosexuality
- The Trevor Project: Leading national organization providing crisis intervention and suicide prevention services to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and questioning youth.
- T-House Online: A digital drop-in center serving the transgender community. It is an HIV/AIDS initiative implemented by the Broward County Health Department. T-House helps you to be safe, healthy, and YOU!
- To the Beat of a Different Drummer. A report about gender variant children: Source: Contemporary Pediatrics, By: Ellen C. Perrin, MD, Edgardo J. Menvielle, MD, Catherine Tuerk, MA, RN. A child who is truly 'gender-variant' is one who exhibits an ongoing pattern of behavior, not merely a passing interest in the clothes or the preoccupations of the opposite sex.
- Toolkit and Training on Assessing Cultural Competency in Peer-Run Mental Health Programs
- TransActive: An internationally recognized non-profit focused on serving the diverse needs of transgender (TG) and gender nonconforming (GNC) children, youth, their families and allies.
- Transcend: Supporting Transgender Children and their Families, based in Australia.
- TransFamily of Cleveland: Excellent family support site. Newsletter, couples, spouses, parents, and youth discussion e-lists. Hundreds of members from all over the world.
- Transgender Resource Guide
- TransParent: Our purpose is to provide support, information and resources to help parents confidently navigate their gender independent child's personal journey of self-discovery to authentic living. (St. Louis, MO)
- Trans-Parenting: Provides support and educational resources to parents and their advocates raising a gender independent child.
- Trans Youth Equality Foundation: Provides education, advocacy and support for transgender and gender non-conforming children and youth and their families.
- TransYouth Family Allies (TYFA): Empowers children and families by partnering with educators, service providers and communities, to develop supportive environments where gender may be expressed and respected with a vision towards a society free of suicide and violence in which ALL children are respected and celebrated.
- TSER, Trans Student Equality Resources, info on school issues and support for creating policy change in school districts
- We Happy Trans
Top of Page
- American Society on Aging: Lesbian and Gay Aging Issues Network
- APA, Div 44: Society for the Psychological Study of Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual Issues
- Asian Pacific Islander Equality
- California Psychological Association (CPA) Statement for the LGBT Community
- Community United Against Violence
- Gender Identity Research and Education Society
- LAGP: The Lesbian and Gay Psychotherapy Association of Southern California
- LGBT Mental Health Syllabus
- Love Exiles
- Marriage Equality USA
- Massachusetts Transgender Political Coalition (MTPC), Boston, MA (advocacy)
- National Black Justice Coalition
- National Center for Transgender Equality (NCTE), Washington, DC (advocacy)
- Parents and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
- Straight for Equality
- Sylvia Rivera Law Project (SRLP), New York, NY (legal services)
- Transgender Law Center
- Transgender Legal Defense and Education Fund (TLDEF), New York, NY (legal services)
- Trans People of Color Coalition (TPOCC), Washington, DC (advocacy)
- Trans Youth Family Allies, Holland, MI (support services)
- Trevor Project
Transgender Programs at LGBT Organizations
- GLAAD Transgender Media and Education Program, New York, NY/Los Angeles, CA (media)
- Gender Identity Project at the NYC LGBT Center, New York, NY (support services)
- Gay & Lesbian Advocates & Defenders (GLAD) Transgender Rights Project, Boston, MA (legal services)
- National Center for Lesbian Rights - Transgender Law, San Francisco, CA (legal services)
- TransLife Center at Chicago House, Chicago, IL (support services)
- HRC's transgender resources, Washington, DC (advocacy)
- TransJustice at the Audre Lorde Project, New York, NY (advocacy)
- Transgender Support Network at PFLAG
Top of Page
Therapists Experienced in the Treatment of Transgender Persons
State and Professional Organizations with Notations about the Treatment of the LGBTQ Population in their Code of Ethics
Top of Page
- Adam, B. (1987). The Rise of a Gay and Lesbian Movement, G. K. Hall & Co.
American Psychiatric Association (1974). Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, DSM-II. American Psychiatric Pub.
- American Psychological Association (1995). Lesbian and gay parenting: A resource for psychologists. Washington, DC: Author.
- American Psychological Association (2002). Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct. American Psychologist, 57, 1060-1073.
- American Psychological Association (2002). Ethical principles of psychologists and code of conduct. American Psychologist, 57, 1060-1073.
American Psychological Association (2003). Guidelines on multicultural education, training,
research, practice, and organizational change for psychologists [Electronic version]. American
Psychologist, 58, 377–402. doi:10.1037/0003-066X.58.5.377
- American Psychological Association. (2006). Answers to your questions about transgender individuals and gender identity. Retrieved from http://www.apa.org/topics/sexuality/transgender.aspx
- American Psychological Association. (2008). Report of the APA task force on gender identity and gender variance. Retrieved January 8, 2010 from www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/policy/gender-identity-report.pdf
- American Psychological Association. (2009a). Report of the APA task force on appropriate therapeutic responses to sexual orientation. Retrieved January 8, 2010 from www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources/therapeutic-response.pdf
- American Psychological Association. (2009b). Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender persons and socioeconomic status. Retrieved January 12, 2010 from www.apa.org/pi/ses/resources/publications/lgbt-factsheet.pdf
American Psychological Association (2012). Guidelines for psychological practice with lesbian, gay, and bisexual clients. American Psychologist, 67, 10–42. doi:10.1037/a0024659
- Anderson, E. A. (2006) Out of the Closets and into the Courts: Legal Opportunity Structure and Gay Rights Litigation. University of Michigan Press.
Arredondo, P., Toporek, M. S., Brown, S., Jones, J., Locke, D. C., Sanchez, J., & Stadler, H.
(1996). Operationalization of the multicultural counseling competencies. Alexandria, VA:
Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development. Retrieved from http://www.counseling.org/Resources/
- Badgett, M.V.L., Lau, H., Sears, B., & Ho, D. (2007). Bias in the workplace: Consistent evidence of sexual orientation and gender identity discrimination. Retrieved from http://www.law.ucla.edu/williamsinstitute/publications/biasintheworkplace.pdf
- Bayer, R. (1981) Homosexuality and American Psychiatry: The Politics of Diagnosis. Princeton University Press.
Bigby, J. (2003). Cross-cultural Medicine. Philadelphia: American College of Physicians.
- Brill, Stephanie A. & Pepper, Rachel (2008). The Transgender Child, A Handbook for Families and Professionals. Cleis Press
- Brown, Mildred L., Ph.D and Rounsley, Chloe Ann (2003), True Selves: Understanding Transsexualism-For Families, Friends, Coworkers, and Helping Professionals, Publisher: Jossey-Bass.
Burgan, D. (2003). Using Film and Literature for Cultural Competence Training. Psychiatric Bulletin, 27:427-428.
- Boden, R. (1992). Psychotherapy with physically disabled lesbians. In S.H. Dworkin & F.J. Gutierrez (Eds.), Counseling gay men and lesbians: Journal to the end of the rainbow (pp. 157-174). Alexandria, VA: AACD Press.
Bowers v. Hardwick – 478 U.S. 186 (1986)
- Bradford, M. (2004). The bisexual experience: Living in a dichotomous culture. Journal of Bisexuality, 4 (1/2), 7-23.
- Brown, J. (2009). The Turing enigma: Campaigners demand pardon for mathematics genius. The Independent, August 18, 2009.
- Brown, L. (1989). Lesbians, gay men, and their families: Common clinical issues. Journal of Gay and Lesbian Psychotherapy, 1 (l), 65-77.
- Brown, L. B. (Ed.) (1997). Two spirit people: American Indian lesbian women and gay men (pp. 43-65). Binghamton, NY: Haworth.
Burgess, D., Tran, A., Lee, R., van Ryn, M. (2007). Effects of perceived discrimination on mental health and mental health services utilization among gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender persons. Journal of LGBT Health Res, 3:1–14.
Campinha-Bacote, J. (1998). The Process of Cultural Competence in the Delivery of Health Care Services: A Culturally Competent Model of Care, 3rd edition. Cincinnati, OH: Transcultural C.A.R.E. Associates.
Campinha-Bacote, J. (2003). Many Faces: Addressing Diversity in Healthcare. Online Journal of Issues in Nursing 2003, 208(1). http://www.transculturalcare.net/
- Carter, D. (2004). Stonewall: The Riots that Sparked the Gay Revolution, New York: St. Martin's Press.
- Chauncey, G. (1995). Gay New York: Gender, Urban Culture, and the Making of the Gay Male World, 1890-1940. New York: Basic Books.
- Chauncey, G. et al. The Historians’ Case Against Gay Discrimination legal brief for Lawrence v. Texas. History News Network at George Mason University, History News Network, http://hnn.us/articles/1539.html
Chipfakacha, V. (1994). The role of culture in primary health care. S Afr Med J, 84(12): 860-1.
Chopra, A.S. (2003). Ayurveda. In: Selin H, Shapiro H, Eds., Medicine Across Cultures: History and Practice of Medicine in Non-western cultures. The Netherlands: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
Cochran, S.D., Mays, V.M., Sullivan, J.G. (2003). Prevalence of mental disorders, psychological distress and mental health services use among lesbian, gay and bisexual adults in the United States. J Consult Clin Psychol, 71:53–61.
Comas-Diaz, L., Jacobsen, F.M. (1993). Ethnocultural transference and counter-transference in the therapeutic dyad. American J. Orthopsychiatry, 61(3):392-402.
Conron, K.J., Mimiaga, M.J., Landers, S.J. (2010). A population-based study of sexual orientation identity and gender differences in adult health. Am J Public Health, 100(10):1953–1960.
- Cook, Ann Thompson. Made in God’s Image: A Resource for Dialogue about the Church and Gender Differences (Transgender and Intersex). Washington, D.C.: Dumbarton United Methodist Church.
Cook-Daniels, L. (2006). Trans aging. In D. Kimmel, T. Rose, & S. David (Eds.), Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender aging: Research and clinical perspectives (pp. 20–35). New York, NY: Columbia University Press.
Corliss, H., Grella, C., Mays, V., Cochran, S. (2006). Drug use, drug severity, and helpseeking behaviors of lesbian and bisexual women. J Womens Health, (15):556–568.
Cornish, J. A. E., Schreirer, B. A., Nadkarni, L. I., Metzger, L. H., & Rodolfa, E. R. (2010). Handbook of multicultural counseling competencies. Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Cross, T.L., Bazon, B.J., Dennis, K.W., Isaacs, M.R. (1999) Reducing disparities through culturally competent Health Care: An Analysis of the Business Case. In Towards a Culturally Competent System of Care. Quality Management in Health Care, Volume 10, issue 4. Washington DC, Georgetown University Child Development Centre (cited in Brach, C. & Fraser, I; 2002:15-28).
D'Augelli, A., Grossman, A. (2001). Disclosure of sexual orientation, victimization, and mental health among lesbian, Gay, and bisexual older adults. J Interpers Violence, 16:1008–1027.
D'Augelli, A. R., Grossman, A. H., Hershberger, S. L., & O'Connell, T. S. (2001). Aspects of mental health among older lesbian, gay, and bisexual adults. Aging & Mental Health, 5, 149–158. doi:10.1080/13607860120038366
Dein, S. (2007). ABC of mental Health: Mental health in a multiethnic society. BMJ, 315:473-479.
De Jong, J., Van Ommeren, M. (2005). Mental Health Services in a Multicultural Society: Interculturalization and its Quality Surveillance. Transcultural Psychiatry, 42(3):437-456.
- Ellis, H. (1927). Studies in the Psychology of Sex Volume II: Sexual Inversion. 3rd Ed. . Project Gutenberg.
Epstein R. M. & Hundert, E. M. (2002). Defining and assessing professional competence. Journal of the American Medical Association, 287, 226-235.
- Eskridge, W. N. (2008) Dishonorable Passions: Sodomy Laws in America, 1861-2003 New York: Viking.
Ferguson, J., Keller, D., Haley, H., Quirk, M. (2003). Developing Culturally Competent Community Faculty: A Model Program. Academic Medicine, 78(12): 1221-8.
Flores, G. (2000). Culture and the patient-physician relationship: Achieving cultural competency in health care. J Pediatr, 136(1): 14-23.
Fredriksen-Goldsen, K.I., et al (2013). Health disparities among lesbian, gay, and bisexual older adults: results from a population-based study. Am J Public Health, 103(10):1802–1809.
- Freud, S. (1962). Three Essays on the Theory of Sexuality, trans. James Strachey. New York: Basic Books.
- Friedman, S. (2013) An Estimate of Housing Discrimination Against Same-Sex Couples HUDNo.13-096. HUD, Retrieved from http://www.huduser.org/portal/Publications/pdf/Hsg_Disc_against_SameSexCpls_v3.pdf
Frusti, D.K., Niesen, K.M., Campion, J.K. (2003). Creating a culturally competent organization: Use of the diversity competency model. J Nurs Adm, 33(1): 31-8.
- Garofalo, R., Wolf, C., Wissow, L, Woods, E. and Goodman, E. (1999). Sexual Orientation and Risk of Suicide Attempts among a Representative Sample of Youth. In Archives of Pediatric and Adolescent Medicine, 153:pps. 487-493. Chicago, IL: American Medical Association.
- Gartrell, N. Bos, H. (2010). The USA National Longitudinal Lesbian Family Study: psychological adjustment of the 17-year-old adolescents. Pediatrics. 126(1):28–36.
- Gibson, P. (1989), "Gay and Lesbian Youth Suicide", in Fenleib, Marcia R. (ed.), Report of the Secretary's Task Force on Youth Suicide, United States Government Printing Office, ISBN 0160025087.
- Glen, S. & Powers, A. (2012) The Top 10 Facts About the Wage Gap: Women Are Still Earning Less than Men Across the Board, Center for American Progress Report
- Greene, B. (1994). Lesbian women of color: Triple jeopardy. In L. Comas-Diaz & B. Greene (Eds.), Women of color: Integrating ethnic and gender identities in psychotherapy (pp. 389-427). New York: Guilford Press.
Green, A.R., Betancourt, J.R., Carrillo, J.E. (2002). Integrating social factors into cross-cultural medical education. Acad Med, 77(3): 193-7.
Grossman, A. H. (2006). Physical and mental health of older lesbian, gay, and bisexual adults. In
D. Kimmel, T. Rose, & S. David (Eds.), Lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender aging: Research and clinical perspectives (pp. 53–69). New York, NY: Columbia University Press.
Hadwiger, S. (1999). Cultural Competence Case Scenarios for Critical Care Nursing Education. Nurse Educator, 24(5):47-51.
- Haldeman, D. (1991). Sexual orientation conversion therapy for gay men and lesbians: A scientific examination. In J. C. Gonsiorek & J. D. Weinrich (Eds.), Homosexuality: Research implications for public policy. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.
- Haldeman, D. C. (1996). Spirituality and religion in the lives of lesbians and gay men. In R. P. Cabaj & T.S. Stein (Eds.), Textbook of homosexuality and mental health (pp. 881-896). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Press.
- Hancock, K. (2000). Lesbian, gay, and bisexual lives: Basic issues in psychotherapy training and practice. In B. Greene & G.L. Croom (Eds.), Psychological Perspectives on Lesbian and Gay Issues: Vol. 5. Education, research, and practice in lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered psychology: A resource manual (pp. 91-130). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.
Helman, C.G. (2001). Culture, health and illness. London: Arnold.
- Herdt, G., and Kertzner, R. (2006). I Do, but I Can’t: The Impact of Marriage Denial on the Mental Health and Sexual Citizenship of Lesbians and Gay Men in the United States; Sexuality Research and Social Policy: Journal of NSRC, Vol. 3, Issue 1, pp. 33-49.
- Herek, G.M., & Belkin, A. (2005). Sexual orientation and military service: Prospects for organizational and individual change in the United States. In T.W. Britt, A.B. Adler, & C.A. Castro (Eds.), Military life: The psychology of serving in peace and combat (Vol. 4: Military culture, pp. 119-142).
- Herek, G. (2010). Oral testimony on reparative therapy Prop 8 trial, Day 9: Jan 22, 2010.
- Herek, G. M. (2011). Anti-equality marriage amendments and sexual stigma. Journal of Social Issues, 61, 413-426.
- Hooker, E. (1957). The Adjustment of the Male Overt Homosexual. Journal of Projective Techniques, 21(1), 18-31.
- Huckaby, J. (2013). Personal Communication and Interview with Executive Director of Parents Friends and Family of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG). Zur Institute
- Institute of Medicine (2011). The Health of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender People: Building a Foundation for Better Understanding. Washington, DC: Institute of Medicine.
Isaacs, M.R., Benjamin, M.P. (1991). Towards a Culturally Competent System of Care. Washington, DC: CASSP Technical Assistance Center, Georgetown University Child Development Center; Vol. II.
- Istar Lev, Arlene, CSW-R, CASAC (2004), Therapeutic Guidelines for Working With Gender-Variant People and Their Families. The Howorth Clinical Practice Press.
- Johnson, D. K. (2004). The Lavender Scare: The Cold War Persecution of Gays and Lesbians in the Federal Government. University of Chicago Press
- Kaelber, T. (2003), Personal Communication, Executive Director, Services and Advocacy for Gay Elders (SAGE) www.sageusa.org
Kai, J., Spencer, J., Wilkes, M., Gill, P. (1999). Learning to value ethnic diversity– what why and how? Medical Education, 33:616-623.
Kim-Godwin, Y.S., Clarke, P., Barton, L. (2001). A model for the delivery of culturally competent community care. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 35(6):918-925.
Kirmayer, L.J., Groleau, D., Guzder, J., Blake, C., Jarvis, E. (2003). Cultural consultation: a model of mental health service for multicultural societies. Can J Psychiatry, 48(3):145-53.
Kirmayer, L.J., Minas, H. (2000). The future of cultural psychiatry: an international perspective. Can J Psychiatry, 45(5):438-46.
Kleinman, A. (1981). Patients and Healers in the Context of Culture. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
Kleinman, A. (1986). Concepts and a Model of the Comparison of Medical Systems as Cultural Systems. In: Currer C, Stacey M, Eds., Concepts of health, illness, and handicap. Geneva: Harwood Academic Publishers.
- Kraft-Ebing, R. (1886), Psychopathia Sexualis reprinted by Bloat Books, 1999.
- Lamb, M. (2004). Child Care and Its Impact on Young Children (2-5), National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, USA.
- Landau, E. (2010). "For LGBT teens, acceptance is critical."http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/12/06/lgbt.teens.punishment.problems/index.html Retrieved 2-16-12.
Landrine, H., Klonoff, A. (1992). Cultural and health-related schemas: a review and proposal for interdisciplinary integration. Health Psychol, 11(4): 267-76.
- Laryea, M., & Gien, L. (1993). The impact of HIV-positive diagnosis on the individual, part 1: Stigma, rejection, and loneliness. Clinical Nursing Research, 2 (3), 245-263.
- Lawrence v. Texas, 539 U.S. 558 (2003).
Levin, S.J, Like, R.C., Gottlieb, J.E. (2000). ETHNIC: A framework for culturally competent clinical practice. In Appendix: Useful clinical interviewing mnemonics. Patient Care, 34(9): 188-9.
Loudon, R., Anderson, M., Gill, P., Greenfield, S. (1999). Educating Medical Students for Work in Culturally Diverse Societies. JAMA, 282(9):875-80.
- MacCallum, F., & Golombok, S. (2004). Children raised in fatherless families from infancy: A follow up of children of lesbian and single heterosexual mothers. Journal of Child Psychology & Psychiatry, 45, 1407–1419.
Marshal, M.P., Friedman, M.S., Stall, R., King, K.M., Miles, J., Gold, M.A., Bukstein, O.G., Morse, J.Q. (2008). Sexual orientation and adolescent substance use: a meta-analysis and methodological review. Addiction, 103:546–556.
Mathieson, C., Bailey, N., Gurevich, M. (2002). Health care services for lesbian and bisexual women: some Canadian data. Health Care Women Int, 23:185–196.
Matsumoto, D., Juang, L. (2008). Culture and Psychology, 4th ed. Florence, KY: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
- McDougal, G. (1993). Therapeutic issues with gay and lesbian elders. Clinical Gerontologist, 14, 45-57.
Metzger, L. H., Nadkarni, L. I., & Cornish, J. A. E. (2010). An overview of multicultural counseling competencies. In J. A. E. Cornish, B. A. Schreirer, L. I. Nadkarni, L. H. Metzger, & E. R. Rodolfa. (Eds.) Handbook of multicultural competencies. (pp. 1-22). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Meyer, I.H. (2003). Prejudice, social stress, and mental health in lesbian, gay, and bisexual populations: conceptual issues and research evidence. Psychol Bull, 129(5):674–697.
- Morin, S. (1977). Heterosexual bias in psychological research on lesbianism and male homosexuality. American Psychologist, 32, 629-637.
Murguía, A., Zea, M.C., Reisen, C.A., Peterson, R.A. (2000). The development of the cultural health attributions questionnaire (CHAQ). Cultur Divers Ethnic Minor Psychol, 6(3): 268-83.
- Murphy, B. (1994). Difference and diversity: Gay and lesbian couples. Journal of Gay and Lesbian Social Services, 1 (2), 5-31.
- O'Keefe, Tracie and Fox, Katrina (2003), Finding the Real Me: True Tales of Sex and Gender Diversity, Publisher: Jossey-Bass.
- Paul, J. P., Catania, J., Pollack, L., Moskowitz, J., Canchola, J., Mills, T., et al. (2002). Suicide
attempts among gay and bisexual men: Lifetime prevalence and antecedents. American Journal of Public Health, 92, 1338–1345.
Razzano, L., Cook, J., Hamilton, M., Hughes, T., Matthews, A. (2006). Predictors of mental health services use among lesbian and heterosexual women. Psychiatr Rehabil J, 29:289–298.
- Rostosky, S. et, al. (2008) Marriage Amendments and Psychological Distress in Lesbian, Gay and Bisexual (LGB) Adults. Journal of Counseling Psychology, Vol. 56, No.1
- Russell, S. (2001). Gay and Lesbian Youths at Greater Risk for Suicide in American Journal of Public Health. Washington, D.C.: American Public Health Association.
- Ryan, C., Huebner, D., Diaz, R.M., and Sanchez, J. (2009).Family Rejection as a Predictor of Negative Health Outcomes in White and Latino Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Young Adults. Pediatrics Vol. 123, No. 1., pp. 346 -354. (doi: 10.1542/peds.2007-3524)
Saewyc, E.M., Poon, C., Wang, N., Homma, Y., Smith, A. (2007). The McCreary Centre Society: Not yet equal: the health of lesbian, gay and bisexual youth in BC. Vancouver, BC: McCreary Centre Society. ISBN ISBN#: 978-1-895438-84-5.
Scholinski, Daphne, (1998). The Last Time I Wore a Dress: A Memoir (Penguin/Putnam)
United States v. Windsor, 570 U.S
Siegel, C., Haugland, G., Chamber, E. (2003). Performance Measures and Their Benchmarks for Assessing Organisational Cultural Competency in Behavioural Health Care Service Delivery. Adm Policy Ment Health, 31(2):141-70.
Singh, N. (2002). To Value and Address Diversity: From Policy to Practice. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 11(1):35-45.
Spector, R.E. (2004). Cultural Diversity in Health & Illness, 6th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall.
Srivastava, R. (2007). The healthcare professional's guide to clinical cultural competence. Toronto: Mosby Elsevier.
Stork, E., Scholle, S., Greeno, C., Copeland, V.C. (2001). Monitoring and Enforcing Cultural Competence in Medicaid Managed Behavioural Health Care. Mental Health Service Research 2001, 3(3): 169-177.
Sue, D. W. & Sue, D. (2008). Counseling the culturally diverse theory and practice. (5th ed.). Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
Suite, D. H., La Bril, R., Primm, A., & Harrison-Ross, P. (2007). Beyond misdiagnosis, misunderstanding and mistrust: Relevance of the historical perspective in the medical and mental health treatment of people of color. Journal of the National Medical Association, 99, 879–885.
Tjepkema, M. (2008). Health care use among lesbian, gay, and bisexual Canadians. Health Report, 19:53–64.
Travers, R., Schneider, M. (1996). Barriers to accessibility for lesbian and gay youth needing addictions services. Youth Soc, 27:356–378.
Valanis, B.G., Bowen, D.J., Bassford, T., Whitlock, E., Charney, P., Carter, R.A. (2000). Sexual
orientation and health: comparisons in the women's health initiative sample. Arch Fam Med, 9(9):843–853.
Vaughn, L.M., Phillips, R. (2009). Intercultural adjustment for cultural competence in shared context: "The company we keep." Int J Interdisc Soc Sci, 3(11): 1-12.
Veenstra, G. (2011). Race, gender, class, and sexual orientation: intersecting axes of inequality and self-rated health in Canada. Int J Equity Health, 10:3.
Wainright, J., Russell, S., & Patterson, C. (2004). Psychosocial adjustment, school outcomes and romantic relationships of adolescents with same-sex parents. Child Development , 75, 1886-1898.
Warren, B.J. (2002). The Interlocking Paradigm of Cultural Competence: A Best Practice Approach. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association, 8(6209-213).
- Witten, T. M. (2003). Transgender aging: An emerging population and an emerging need. Sexologies, 12, 15–20.
Top of Page