Top of Page
Top of Page
- Ackerman, N. W. 1954. Interpersonal disturbances in the family: some unresolved problems in psychotherapy. Psychiatry. 17:359-368.
- Anderson, C. M. (1983) A psychoeducational program for families of patients with schizophrenia. In Family Therapy in Schizophrenia (ed. W.-R. McFarlane). New York: Guildford.
- Anderson, H. (1999). Reimagining family therapy: Reflections on Minuchin's invisible family. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy. 25.
- Asen, K. E., Berkowitz, R., Cooklin, A., et al (1991) Family therapy outcome research: a trial for families, therapists and researchers. Family Process, 30, 3-20.
- Barratt, M. (2000). Multidisciplinary perspectives on families in the United States at 2000. Michigan Family Review, 5 (1), 1-10.
- Bateson, G., Jackson, D. D., Haley, J., and Weakland, J. 1956. Toward a theory of schizophrenia. Behavioral Sciences. 1:251-264.
- Baucom, D., Shoham, V., Mueser, K., et al (1998) Empirically supported couple and family interventions for marital distress and adult mental health problems. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 66, 53-88.
- Beck, A. T., Ward, C. H., Mendelson, M., et al (1961) An inventory for measuring depression. Archives of General Psychiatry, 4, 561-571.
- Berg, I. K., and de Shazer, S. 1993. Making numbers talk: Language in therapy. In The new language of change. S. Friedman, ed. New York: Guilford Press.
- Berger, Peter l. and Luckman , Thomas. (1967). The Social Construction of Reality: A Treatise in the Sociology of Knowledge. Anchor Books.
- Boscolo, L., Cecchin, G., Hoffman, L., and Penn, P. 1987. Milan systemic family therapy. New York: Basic Books.
- Boscolo, L., Cecchin, G., Hoffman, L., et al (1987) Milan Systemic Family Therapy: Theoretical and Practical Aspects. New York: Harper & Row.
- Boss, P., Beaulieu, L., Weiling, E., Turner, W., & LaCruz, S. (2003) Healing loss, ambiguity and trauma: A community based intervention with families of union workers missing after the 9/11 attack in New York City. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 29 (4), 455-467.
- Boszormenyi-Nagy, I., and. Ulrich, D. N. 1981. Contextual family therapy. In Handbook of family therapy, A. S. Gurman and D. P. Kniskern, eds. New York: Brunner/Mazel.
- Bowen, M. (1978). Family Therapy in clinical practice. New York: Aronson.
- Brown, G. W., Birley, J. L. & Wing, J. K. (1972) Influence of family life on the course of schizophrenic disorders: a replication. British Journal of Psychiatry, 121, 241-258.
- Breunlin, D., Schwartz, R., & MacKune-Karrer, B. (1992). Metaframeworks for psychotherapy: Transcending the models of family therapy. San Francisco: Jossey Bass.
- Carr, A. (2000a) Evidence-based practice in family therapy and systemic consultation I. Journal of Family Therapy, 22, 29-60.
- Cecchin, G. 1987. Hypothesizing, circularity and neutrality revisited: An invitation to curiosity. Family Process. 26:405-413.
- Clarkin, J., Haas, G. & Glick, I. (1990) A randomised clinical trial of inpatient family intervention, V. Results for affective disorders. Journal of Affective Disorders, 18, 17-28.
- Combs, G., & Freedman, J. (1998). Tellings and retellings. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 24 (4) 405-408.
- Coontz, S. (2004, November). Changing all the rules: The historical transformation of marriage. Paper presented at the National Council on Family Relations Annual Conference, Orlando, FL.
- Corcoran, J. (2000). Evidence-based social work practice with families: A lifespan approach. New York: Springer.
- Crisp, A. H., Norton, K., Gowers, S., et al (1991) A controlled study of the effect of therapies aimed at adolescent and family psychopathology in anorexia nervosa. British Journal of Psychiatry, 159, 325-333.
- Dare, C. (1997) Chronic eating disorders in therapy: clinical stories using family systems and psychoanalytic approaches. Journal of Family Therapy, 19, 319-351.
De Shazer, S. 1994. Words were originally magic. New York: Norton.
- De Shazer, S. (1985) Keys to Solutions in Brief Therapy. New York: W.W. Norton.
- Dodge, E., Hodes, M., Eisler, I., et al (1995) Family therapy for bulimia nervosa in adolescents: an exploratory study. Journal of Family Therapy, 17, 59-78.
- Dunn, R. & Schwebel, A. (1995) Meta-analytic review of marital therapy outcome research. Journal of Family Psychology, 9, 58-68.
- Edwards, M. & Steinglass, P. (1995) Family therapy treatment outcomes for alcoholism. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 21, 475-509.
- Eisler, I., Dare, C., Russell, G. F. M., et al (1997) Family and individual therapy in anorexia nervosa. A 5-year follow-up. Archives of General Psychiatry, 54, 1025-1030.
- ---, ---, Hodes, M., et al (2000) Family therapy for adolescent anorexia nervosa: the results of a controlled comparison of two family interventions. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 41, 727-736.
- Emanuels-Zuurveen, L. & Emmelkamp, P. M. (1996) Individual behavioural-cognitive therapy v. marital therapy for depression in maritally distressed couples. British Journal of Psychiatry, 169, 181-188.
- Endicott, J., Spitzer, R. L., Fleiss, J. L., et al (1976) The Global Assessment Scale. Archives of General Psychiatry, 33, 766- 771.
- Falloon, I. (1988) Behavioural family therapy: systems, structures and strategies. In: Family Therapy in Britain (eds E. Street & W. Dryden). Milton Keynes & Philadelphia: Open University Press.
- Fishman, H. C. (1996) Structural family therapy. In Treating Eating Disorders (ed. J. Werne). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Inc.
- C. Franklin & C. Jordan, (2001). Guidelines for Conducting Family Therapy. In A. Roberts and G. Greene ( Eds.). Social Workers Desk Reference. Oxford University Press.
- Franklin, C., & Jordan, C. (2000). Family practice: Brief systems methods for social work. Pacific Grove, CA: Brooks/Cole.
- Fraser, M. W., Nelson, K. E., & Rivard, J.C. (1997). Effectiveness of family preservation services. Social Work Research, 21, 138-53.
- Garner, D. M. (1994) Bulimia nervosa. In Adult Behavior Therapy Casebook (eds C. G. Last & M. Hersen). New York: Plenum Press.
- Gottlieb, I. H. & Colby, C. A. (1987) Treatment of Depression: An Interpersonal Systems Approach. Oxford: Pergamon Press.
- Gottman, J. M. (1999). The marriage clinic. New York: Guilford Press.
- Goulding, R., & Schwartz, R. (1995). Mosaic mind: Empowering the tormented selves of child abuse survivors. New York: W. W. Norton.
- Green, R. J. (1998). Race and the field of family therapy. In M. McGoldrick (ed.), Re-visioning family therapy. New York: Guilford Publications.
- Gustafsson, P., Kjellman, N. & Cederbald, M. (1986) Family therapy in the treatment of severe childhood asthma. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 30, 369-374.
- Haley, J., and Hoffman, L., (Eds) 1968. Techniques of family therapy. New York: Basic Books.
- Haley, J. (1963) Strategies of Psychotherapy. New York: Grune and Stratton.
- Hall, A. & Crisp, A. H. (1987) Brief psychotherapy in the treatment of anorexia nervosa.Outcome at one year. British Journal of Psychiatry, 151, 185-191.
- Hamilton, M. (1960) A rating scale for depression. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, 23, 59-61.
- Henggeler, S. W. (1999). Multisystemic therapy: An overview of clinical procedures, outcomes, and policy implications. Child Psychology and Psychiatry Review, 4, 2-10.
- Herscovici, C. R. & Bay, L. (1996) Favourable outcome for anorexia nervosa patients treated in Argentina with a family approach. Eating Disorders, 4, 59-66.
- Hogue, A., & Liddle, H. A. (1999). Family-based preventive intervention: An approach to preventing substance abuse and antisocial behavior. The American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, 69, 278-290.
- Houts, A., Berman, J. & Abramson, H. (1994) Effectiveness of psychological and
pharmacological treatments for nocturnal enuresis. Journal of Counselling and Clinical Psychology, 62, 737-745.
- Jackson, R. L. (2001). The clubhouse model: Empowering applications of theory to generalist practice. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Thomson Learning.
- Jacobson, N. S., & Christensen, A. (1996). Integrative couple therapy. New York: Norton.
- Jacobson, N. S. & Addis, M. E. (1993) Research on couples and couple therapy: what do we know? Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 61, 85-93.
- ---, Dobson, K., Fruzzetti, A., et al (1991) Marital therapy as a treatment for depression.
Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 59, 547-557.
- Johnson, S. M., Maddeaux, C. & Blouin, J. (1998) Emotionally focused family therapy for
bulimia: changing attachment patterns. Psychotherapy, 35, 238-247.
- Johnson, S. M., & Lebow, J. (2000). The coming of age of couple therapy: A decade review. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 26, 23-38.
- Johnson, S. M., Hunsley, J., Greenberg, L., & Schindler, D. (1999). Emotion focused couples therapy: Status and challenges. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 6, 67-79.
- Jones, E. & Asen, E. (2000) Systemic Couple Therapy and Depression. London & New York: Karnac Books.
- Kazdin, A. (1998) Psychosocial treatments for conduct disorder in children. In A Guide to Treatments that Work (eds P. Nathan & J. Gorman). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Klerman, G., Weissman, M., Rounsaville, B., et al (1984) Interpersonal Therapy for Depression. New York: Basic Books.
- Kuipers, L., Leff, J. & Lam, D. (2002) Family Work for Schizophrenia: A Practical Guide (2nd edn). London: Gaskell.
- Lask, B. & Matthew, D. (1979) Childhood asthma: a controlled trial of family psychotherapy.
Archives of Diseases in Childhood, 55, 116-119.
- Law, D. D. & Crane, D. S. (2000). The influence of marital and family therapy on health care utilization in a health-maintenance organization. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 26, 281-291.
- Lebow, J. (1997). The integrative revolution in couple and family therapy. Family Process, 36, 1-17.
- Lebow, J. (2000). What does the research tell us about couple and family therapies?
Psychotherapy in Practice, 56, 1083-1094.
- Leff, J., Kuipers, L., Berkowitz, R., et al (1982) A controlled trial of social intervention in schizophrenic families. British Journal of Psychiatry, 141, 121-134.
- Le Grange, D., Eisler, I., Dare, C., et al (1992) Evaluation of family therapy in anorexia nervosa: a pilot study. International Journal of Eating Disorder, 12, 347-357.
- Lyotard , J-F . 1984. The Postmodern Condition: A Report on Knowledge. Transl. Bennington G, & Massumi B., Foreword by Jameson F. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press & Manchester: University of Manchester Press.
- MacCarthy, B., Kuipers, L., Hurry, J., et al (1989) Counselling the relatives of the long-term adult mentally ill. I. Evaluation of the impact on relatives and patients. British Journal of
Psychiatry, 154, 768-775.
- Madanes, C. 1981. Strategic family therapy. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.
- Mahoney, A. R., & Knudson-Martin, C. (2000). Will old gender scripts limit new millennium families' ability to thrive. Michigan Family Review, 5 (1). 41-52.
- Martin, F. E. (1985) The treatment and outcome of anorexia nervosa in adolescents: a
prospective study and five year follow-up. Journal of Psychiatric Research, 19, 509-514.
- McGoldrick, M., Gerson, R., & Schellenberger, S. (1998). Genograms in family assessment 2nd ed.), New York: Norton
- Miklowitz, D. & Goldstein, M. (1990) Behavioural family treatment for patients with bipolar affective disorder. Behaviour Modification, 14, 457-489.
- Minuchin, S. 1974. Families and family therapy. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Minuchin, S. (1998). Where is the family in narrative family therapy?; Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 24 (4), 387-404, October, 1998.
- Minuchin, S. (1999). Retelling, reimagining, and re-searching: A continuing conversation. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 25, 9-14.
- National Center for Children in Poverty (2004). Michigan demographics. New York: Mailman School of Public Health, Columbia University.
- Nichols, M., & Schwartz, R. (1991, 1995, 1998). Family therapy concepts and methods: 2nd, 3rd, and 4th editions. Cambridge, MA: Allyn and Bacon.
- O'Leary, K. & Beach, S. (1990) Marital therapy: a viable treatment for depression and marital discord. American Journal of Psychiatry, 63, 183-186.
- Overall, J. E. & Gorham, D. R. (1962) The brief psychiatric rating scale. Psychological Reports, 10, 799-812.
- Pharoah, F. M., Mari, J. J. & Streiner, D. (2000) Family intervention for schizophrenia (Cochrane Review). In: The Cochrane Library, Issue 3. Oxford: Update Software.
- Phenice, L. A, & Griffore, R. J. (2000). Social identity of ethnic minority families: An ecological approach for the new millennium. Michigan Family Review, 5 (1), 29-40.
- Pinker, Steven. (2002). The Blank Slate : The Modern Denial of Human Nature. Penguin Books.
- Pinsof, W. M. & Wynne, L. C. (1995). The efficacy of marital and family therapy: An empirical overview, conclusions, and recommendations. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 21, 585-613.
- Pinsof, W. M. & Wynne, L. (2000). Toward progress research: Closing the gap between family therapy practice and research. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 26, 1-8.
- Robin, A. L., Siegel, P. T., Moye, A. W., et al (1999) A controlled comparison of family versus individual therapy for adolescents with anorexia nervosa. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 38, 1482-1489.
- Russell, G. F. M., Szmukler, G. I., Dare, C., et al (1987) An evaluation of family therapy in anorexia nervosa and bulimia nervosa. Archives of General Psychiatry, 44, 1047-1056.
- Sackett, D. L., Rosenberg, W. M. C., Gray, J. A. M., et al (1996) Evidence based medicine: what it is and what it isn't. BMJ, 312, 71-72.
- Satir, V. M. 1964. Conjoint family therapy. Palo Alto: Science and Behavior Books.
- Schwartz, R (1999). Narrative therapy expands and contracts family therapy's horizons. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, April, 1999.
- Schwartz, R. C., Barrett, M. J. & Saba, G. (1985) Family therapy for bulimia. In Handbook of Psychotherapy for Anorexia Nervosa and Bulimia (eds D. M. Garner & P. E. Garfinkel). New York: Guilford Press.
- Schwartz, R. C. (1988). Women and eating disorders. In F. Walsh & C. Anderson (eds.), Chronic disorders and the family. New York: Haworth.
- Schwartz, R. C. (1991). The American nightmare. Family Therapy Networker 15, 64-68.
- Schwartz, R.C. (1995). Internal family systems therapy. New York: Guilford Press.
- Schwartz, R. C. (1997). Don't look back. Family Therapy Networker, March/April, 40-45.
- Schwartz, R. C., and Barrett, M. J. (1998). Women and eating disorders. In L. Braverman (ed.), Women, Feminism, and Family Therapy, a special issue of Journal of Psychotherapy and the Family, 4, 131-144.
- Sells, S. P. (1998). Treating the tough adolescent: A family-based, step by step guide. New York: Guilford.
- Selvini Palazzoli, M., Boscolo, L., Cecchin, G., et al (1978) Paradox and Counterparadox: A New Model in the Therapy of the Family in Schizophrenic Transaction. New York: Jason Aronson.
- Selvini-Palazzoli, M. 1986. Towards a general model of psychotic games. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy. 12:339-349.
- Serketich, W. & Dumas, J. E. (1996) The effectiveness of behavioural parent training to modify antisocial behaviour in children: a meta-analysis. Behaviour Therapy, 27, 171-186.
- Shadish, R., Montgomery, L. M., Wilson, P., Wilson, M. R., Bright, I. & Okwumabua, T. (1993). Effects of family and marital psychotherapies: A meta-analysis. The Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 61, 992-1002.
- Silver, E., Williams, A., Worthington, F., et al (1998) Family therapy and soiling: an audit of externalising and other approaches. Journal of Family Therapy, 20, 412-422.
- Spanier, G. B. (1976) Measuring dyadic adjustment: new scales for assessing the quality of marriage and similar dyads. Journal of Marriage & the Family, 38, 15-28.
- Stanton, M. & Shadish, W. (1997) Outcome, attrition and family-couples treatment for drug abuse: a meta-analysis and review of the controlled comparative studies. Psychological Bulletin, 122, 170-191.
- Stierlin, H. & Weber, G. (1989) Unlocking the Family Door. New York: Brunner/Mazel.
- Szmukler, G. I., Burgess, P., Herrman,H., et al (1996) Caring for relatives with serious mental illness: the development of Experience of Caregiving Inventory. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 31, 137-148.
- Tarrier, N., Barrowclough, C., Vaughn, C., et al (1988) The community management of schizophrenia: a controlled trial of behavioural intervention with families to reduce relapse. British Journal of Psychiatry, 153, 532-542.
- Test, M. A., & Stein, L. (2003). Practical guidelines for the community treatment of markedly impaired patients. Journal of Community Mental Health, 36 (1), 47-60.
- Tilove, J. (2004). One nation divisible. Ann Arbor News, February 9, A1, 8.
- Tomm, K. (1998). A question of perspective. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 24 (4), 409-414.
- Toppo,G. (2004). Schools safe, but danger lurks. USA Today, June 28, 6D.
- Vaughn, C. & Leff, J. (1976) The measurement of expressed emotion in families of psychiatric patients. British Journal of Social and Clinical Psychology, 15, 157-165.
- Waldron, H. B. (1996) Adolescent substance abuse and family therapy outcome: a review of randomised trials. Advances in Clinical Child Psychology, 19, 199-234.
- Watzlawick, P., Jackson, D. & Beavin, J. (1967) Pragmatics of Human Communication. New York: W.W. Norton.
- Weakland, J., & Fisch, R. (1974) Change: Principles of Problem Formation and Problem Resolution. New York: W.W. Norton.
- Whitaker. C. A. 1976. The hindrance of theory in clincal work. In Family therapy: Theory and practice, P. J. Guerin, ed. New York: Gardner Press.
- White, M. & Epston, D., 1989. Literate means to therapeutic ends, Adelaide, Dulwicb Centre Publications.
- White, M. & Epston, D. (1990) Narrative Means to Therapeutic Ends. New York: W.W. Norton.
- Wilson, T. & Fairburn, C. (1998) Treatments for eating disorders. In A Guide to Treatments that Work (eds P. Nathan & J. Gorman). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Wing, J. K., Cooper, J. E. & Sartorius, N. (1974) The Measurement and Classification of Psychiatric Symptoms. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Top of Page