Hearing Loss Across the Lifespan
Resources & References
This resource page is part of an Online Course
Hearing Loss Across the Lifespan
CE Credits for Psychologists. CE Credits (CEUs) for LMFTs, Social Workers, Counselors and Nurses.
CE Approvals by BBS-CA, ASWB, NBCC, NAADAC, CA-BRN & more.
Zur Institute is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Zur Institute maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Books & Journal Articles
Hearing Loss and Children
- Dube, W (2011) Study: Abuse Rates Higher Among Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Children Compared with Hearing Youth. University News, Rochester Institute of Technology
- Fellinger, J. Holzinger, D. Sattel, H. , Laucht, M., Goldberg, D. Correlates of mental health disorders among children with hearing impairments. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology 2009, 51; 635–641.
- Knutson JF, Johnson CR, Sullivan PM (2004) Disciplinary choices of mothers of deaf children and mothers of normally hearing children. Child Abuse Neglect. Sep;28 (9):925-937.
- Leigh, I. , Maxwell-McCaw, D. Bat-Chava, Y., Christiansen, J., Correlates of Psychosocial Adjustment in Deaf Adolescents With and Without Cochlear Implants: A Preliminary Investigation, J. Deaf Stud. Deaf Educ. (2009) 14 (2): 244-259.
- Marschark, M. (1993) The Psychological Development of Deaf Children. Oxford University Press, NY: NY.
- Meadow-Orlans, K.P. & Steinberg, A.G. (1993). Effects of infant hearing loss and maternal support on mother-infant interactions at 18 months. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology, 14, 407-426.
- Sebald, A. M. (2008). Child abuse and deafness: an overview. American Annals of the Deaf, 153(4), 376-83.
Hearing Loss & Older Adults
- Chartrand, M.S., (2001B, November). Hearing Health Care and Alzheimer's Disease: The role of hearing healthcare in treating patients with Alzheimer's disease. The Hearing Review, pp.26-29.
- Chartrand, M.S., (2005) Undiagnosed pre-existing hearing loss in Alzheimer's Disease patients. Audiology Online. Retrieved from www.audiologyonline.com.
- National Council on Aging (1999) The Consequences of Untreated Hearing Loss in Older Persons. Washington, D.C.
- Lin FR, Metter EJ, O'Brien RJ, Resnick SM, Zonderman AB, Ferrucci L. Hearing loss and incident dementia. Arch Neurol. 2011 Feb;68 (2):214–220. [PMC free article] [PubMed]
Psychotherapy and Deafness
- Ambler-Walter, C., (2009) McCoyd J. L Grief and loss across the lifespan: a biopsychosocial perspective Springer Publishing company NY: NY.
- Freeman, A. (1984) Mental Health Treatment and Outcome Evaluation in a Deaf Population. (Ph.D. dissertation)
- Freeman, A. (2013) The Emotional Aspects of Hearing Loss. Hearing Loss Californian Magazine, Summer 2012, p 8-9.
- Freeman, A. (2013) What...Me Hard of Hearing? The Silent Epidemic of Hearing Loss. The California Psychologist. Volume 46, No. 6. November/December 2013 pg 12-14.
- Freeman, A. (2013) Navigating a Successful Relationship: Survival Tips for Hard of Hearing and Hearing Couples, Portland,Oregon. HLA-A workshop.
- Harvey, M. (2003) Psychotherapy with Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Persons. Lawrence Ehrlbaum Associates. Malway: New Jersey.
- Ingrao, B. (2012) Better Hearing, Better Health: The Relationship Between Hearing Loss and Health Related Quality of Life. Hearing Loss Magazine, November/December 2012.
- Bouton, K. (2013). Why shouting won't help me and 50 million other people. New York: Sarah Crichton Books/Farrar.
- Padden, C. and Humphries, T. (1988) Deaf in America: Voices from a Culture Boston: Harvard University Press.
- Schlesinger, H. and Meadow, K. (1972) Sound and Sign: Deafness and Mental Health. University of California Press: Berkeley and Los Angeles, California.
- Schlesinger, H. (2000) A Developmental Model Applied to Problems of Deafness. Journal of Deaf Studies and Education. 5 (4): 349-36.
Films and Plays About Deafness
- And Your Name is Jonah
- Bridge to Silence
- Children of a Lesser God
- Johnnie Belinda
- Love is Never Silent
- Sound and Fury
- Miracle Worker
- Mr. Holland's Opus
Top of Page