This resource page is part of an Online Course
Retirement of Therapists: Ethical, Legal, Clinical and Psychological Considerations
CE Credits for Psychologists. CE Credits (CEUs) for LMFTs, Social Workers, Counselors and Nurses.
CE Approvals by BBS-CA, ASWB, NBCC, NAADAC, CA-BRN & more.
Zur Institute is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Zur Institute maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
General Legal Issues
Retirement Issues from Professional Organizations
- Rutzky, J. (2000) Taking Care of Business: Writing a Professional Will, The California Therapist Vol. 12 (4), p. 44.
- Steiner, A. (2002) The Emergency Response Team: A Back Up Plan Every Clinician Needs, The California Therapist, April/May, p. 69-77.
- Steiner, A. (2001) When the Therapist Has to Cancel, The California Therapist, Jan/February, p. 52-54.
Books about Retirement Issues
- Becker, E. The Denial of Death, The Free Press, New York, 1975.
- Bauer-Maglin, Nan & Radosh, Alice. (eds.) (2003). Women confronting retirement, A nontraditonal guide, New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press.
- Yalom, I. Staring at the Sun, Jossey-Bass, 2009
- Draper, B., Winfield, S. & Luscombe G. (1997) The older psychiatrist and retirement, International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 12, 233 -239.
- Gerson, B. (1996) The Therapist as a Person: Life Crises, Life Choices, Life Experiences, and Their Effects on Treatment, The Analytic Press.
- Gold, J.H., Nemiah, J.C. (eds) (1993) Beyond Transference: When the Therapist's Real Life Intrudes, American Psychiatric Press, Inc. Washington, D.C.
- Junkers, G, ed. (2013). The taboo of aging and retirement in psychoanalysis, New York: Routledge.
- Pollack, G (ed., 1992) How psychiatrists look at aging, Connecticut: International Universities Press, Inc.
- Schwartz, H., Silver, A. Eds., (1990) Illness in the Analyst: Implications for the Treatment Relationship, Madison, CT, International Universities Press.
Journal Articles about Retirement
- Chernin, P. (1976) Illness in a Therapist—Loss of Omnipotence, Archives General Psychiatry, Vol. 33, Nov., p. 1327.
- DeWald, P. (1982) A Serious Illness in the Analyst: Transference, Countertransference, and Reality Reponses, Journal of Psychoanalytic Association, Vol. 30, No 2, p.347.
- Draper, Brian, Winfield, Stephanie, & Luscombe, Georgina. (1997). The older psychiatrist
and retirement. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, 12, 233-239.
- Drentea, P. (2002) Retirement and mental health, Journal of Aging and Health, 14, 167 -194.
- Eagles, J, Addie, K & Brown, T (2005). Retirement intentions of consultant psychiatrists, The Psychiatric Bulletin, Psychiatric Bulletin,29: 374-376
- Eliot, Thomas Sterns. (1971). Four Quartets. New York: Harcourt Brace/Jovanovich.
202 Women & Therapy
- Guy, J., Souder, J. (1986) Impact of Therapist's Illness or Accident on Psychotherapeutic Practice: Review and Discussion, Professional Psychology: Research & Practice, Vol. 17(6) p. 509.
- Halpert, E. (1983) When the Analyst is Chronically Ill or Dying, Psychoanalytic Quarterly, 1.1.
- Ireland, M. (1998) Plan for a Professional Will in the Event of Illness, Disability, or Death, unpublished manuscript.
- Levin, D. (1998) Unplanned Termination: Pain and Consequences, Journal of Analytic Social Work, Vol. 5(2) p. 35.
- Marine, E. Are you taking risks that will affect your retirement? from a bulletin of The American Professional Agency
- McGee, Thomas F. (2003) Observations on the retirement of professional psychologists.
Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 34, 388-395.
- Moffic, S (2012). Mental boot camp: today is the first day of your retirement, Psychiatric Times, (June 25, 2012).
- Rauch, E. (1998) A One Session Memorial Group Following the Death of a Therapist, International Journal of Group Psychotherapy, 48 (1) p 99-104.
- Salokangas, R. K. & Joukamaa, M. (1991) Physical and mental health changes in retirement age, Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, 55, 100 -107.
- Samuels, L. (1992) When the Analyst Cannot Continue, The San Francisco Jung Institute Library Journal, Vol. 10, No. 4, pp. 27-38.
- Schad-Somer, S. (1985) Situational Countertransference, Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy, Vol. 15(2) pp.156.
- Stein, G. Betting on Life: A Psychologist's Guide to Making Retirement and “Bucket List" Plans. Blog
- Theriault, Jocelyne. (1994). Retirement as a psychosocial transition: process of adaptation
to change. Int'l Journal of Aging and Human Development, 38, 153-170.
- Weiss, Stanley, & Kaplan, Eugene. (2000). Inner obstacles to psychoanalysts' retirement:
personal, clinical, and theoretical perspectives. Bulletin of the Menninger
Clinic, 64, 443-461.
Top of Page