The Disorder, Its Treatments and Alternative Views
7 CE Credits/Hours - Online Course - $79.00
Developed by Sage de Beixedon Breslin, Ph.D.
CE Credits for Psychologists. CE Credits (CEUs) for LMFTs, Social Workers, Counselors and Nurses.
CE Approvals by BBS-CA, ASWB, NBCC, NAADAC, CA-BRN & more.
Zur Institute is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Zur Institute maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Save time & money with our Online Packages.
1. Sign up securely online.
2. Read/listen to articles/audios.
3. Submit evaluation & post-test.
4. Print your certificate.
To order this Course now
GENERAL COURSE DESCRIPTION
This is a basic course on Bipolar Disorder, which is also known as Bipolar Affective Disorder and Manic Depression. The course details descriptions of the disorder's definition and symptoms and identifies what is known about its etiology. Different treatment options are described and the risks and benefits of the various treatment options are reviewed. Alternative views of mental illness in general and of mania in particular are also proffered. A critique of this diagnosis and treatments currently in use is presented.
This course consists of a series of short articles and an audiotaped interview (transcript available) about the diagnosis of and treatment for Bipolar. The first set of articles reviews the history, diagnosis and etiology of Bipolar. The second set summarizes the pharmaceutical interventions that are available, including the adverse side effects of the medications. The third set presents non-pharmaceutical treatment options for Bipolar. The fourth set of articles reviews dissenting and highly controversial critical opinions about the actual diagnosis and the treatment of Bipolar. The final set includes a glossary of terms and a summary of updates and resources for clients and therapists.
This course will teach the participant to:
- Define and diagnose Bipolar disorder and describe symptoms generally associated with it.
- Identify the medications involved in the treatment of Bipolar disorder and their side effects.
- Identify some of the classic and contemporary non-pharmaceutical treatments for Bipolar.
- Discuss alternative views of mental health in general and Bipolar disorder in particular and provide critique, current "state of the art" ideas and interventions.
- Provide additional references and resources for therapists and their clients.
- Introduction to Bipolar Disorder
- Diagnosis & Prevalence
- Bipolar Disorder in Children and Adolescents
- Medications and Side Effects:
- Lithium, Depakote
- Tegretol, Abilify, Lamictal
- Non-pharmaceutical Treatment
- Assertive Community Treatment (ACT)
- Community - 'Village' Approach
- Critique of medical-psychiatric-pharmaceutical approaches
- Glossary of terms
- Resources for therapists and clients
To order this Course now