Coaching, Coaching and Psychotherapy,
From Counselor to a Coach
Resources & References
This resource page is part of three online courses:
From Counselor to Coach: Making the Transition
Coaching and Psychotherapy: Advanced Topics
Coaching For The Clinician
CE Credits for Psychologists. CE Credits (CEUs) for LMFTs, Social Workers, Counselors and Nurses.
CE Approvals by BBS-CA, ASWB, NBCC, NAADAC, CA-BRN & more.
Zur Institute is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Zur Institute maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Organizations and Institutions
- Association for Coach Training Organizations
- Board Certified Coach credential (especially relevant for counselors and therapists)
- Burris Institute
Specializing in "subconscious-restructuring" Burris institute offers counseling coaching solutions, master certification programs and training licensing.
- Center for Credentialing and Education
- Coach Federation
Founded to advance the practice of professional coaching, the ICF sets industry standards, provides independent certification, and maintains a worldwide network of credentialed coaches.
- Coach Training Alliance
Comprised of active coaching professionals, this organization offers a trademarked learning system, as well as graduate level courses for life coaches.
- I Coach Academy
I Coach Academy is a global company whose programs are accredited by the International Coach Federation. They work to improve the credibility and advancement of life coaching.
- Institute for Life Coach Training
- Institute of Coaching (Harvard University)
- International Coach Federation
- Ipec Coaching
Integrating consulting, psychotherapy, hypnotherapy, Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP), mentoring, quantum physics, metaphysics, adult and accelerated learning theories, emotional intelligence, and leadership development, Ipec Coaching offers basic as well as master's level coach training programs.
- Life Coach Training
Meeting the Center for Credentialing and Education (CCE) Board Certified Coach Training Requirements, Life Coach Training offers both 30 and 60 hour coach training programs conducted via the telephone, as well as access to a network of coaching professionals.
- Robbins-Madanes Training
Pioneered by Anthony Robbins and Cloe Madanes, the Robbins-Madanes Training Center harnesses powerful strategic interventions drawn from social psychology, human needs therapy, structural family therapy, Ericksonian therapy, conflict resolution techniques, and many more to offer many five Strategic Coach certifications.
- Spencer Institute
The Spencer Institute offers Life Coaching, Holistic Education, Nutrition Coaching, Sports Psychology, and Wellness Training Certification Programs delivered in online and distance learning formats.
- The Coaches
The largest in-person coach training program in the world, The Coaches uses a whole person coaching approach, as well as their Co-Active Coaching Model.
- Wellcoaches School of Coaching
One of the few coaching schools that offers coach training, continuing education, and self coaching courses.
- World Coach Institute
Offering business, marketing, and 15+ niche coach training areas, this organization provides mentoring and coach training hours accepted by the International Coach Federation.
International Coach Federation (ICF)
Institute for Life Coach Training (ILCT)
Top of Page
Top of Page
- Caron, M. (2002-2011) "Success Articles."
For a multitude of life coaching articles.
- Kim, H.J. (2011). "Executive coaching: study of the evolution of the program at a top European business school."
For a comprehensive examination of the application to Executive Coaching.
- Mitten, S. (2011) "Life Coaching Questionnaire."
For a complete questionnaire designed to determine if life coaching is an effective intervention for you.
- Storey, M.H. (2011) "About Life Coaching."
This article defines what a life coach is and is not, how the coaching process works, and whether or not it can help you.
- Wesley, C. (2011) "Fundamentals of Life Coaching."
This article provides a thorough explanation of life coaching, including how it is done, appropriate coaching subjects, exercises that are used, and reasons why coaching is often overlooked as an intervention.
Top of Page
- All books by Dr. Patrick Williams
- Becoming a Professional Life Coach: Lessons from the Institute for Life Coach Training by Patrick Williams and Diane Menendez (2007)
- Coactive Coaching (third edition), Henry Kimsey-House, Karen Kimsey-House, Phillip Sandahl, Nicholas Brealey Publishing (2011)
- Evidenced Based Coaching Handbook, Dianne Stober, Anthony M. Grant, Eds. (2006)
- Law and Ethics of Coaching, Patrick Williams and Sharon Anderson, Eds. (2005) Wiley Books
- The Philosophy and Practice of Coaching, David B. Drake, Diane Brennan, Kim Gortz, Eds. (2008) Jossey Bass
- Therapist as Life Coach: An Introduction for Counselors and other Helping Professionals, Patrick Williams and Deborah Davis (2nd edition, 2007)
- Total Life Coaching: A Compendium of Resources, Patrick Williams and Lloyd Thomas (2005) Norton Publishing
- de Wall, F. (2010). The Age of Empathy: Nature's Lessons for a Kinder Society. New York, NY: Three Rivers Press.
- Ekman, P (2004). Emotions Revealed: Recognizing Faces and Feelings to Improve Communication and Emotional Life. New York, NY: Holt.
- Gladwell, M. (2007). Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking. New York, NY: Back Bay Books.
- Goleman, D. (2006). Emotional Intelligence: Why It Can Matter More Than IQ. New York, NY: Bantam.
- Goleman, D. (2007). Social Intelligence: The New Science of Human Relationships. New York, NY: Bantam.
- Iacoboni, M. (2009). Mirroring People: The Science of Empathy and How We Connect With Others. New York, NY: Picador.
- Kim, H.J. (2011). "Executive coaching: study of the evolution of the program at a top European business school." http://www.instituteofcoaching.org/images/ARticles/Dissertation_HJ%20Kim_Institute%20of%20coaching.pdf Retrieved 2-16-12.
- National Weight Control Registry (2011). www.nwcr.ws/Research/default.htm. Retrieved 2-2-12.
- Passmore, J. (2010). Excellence in Coaching: The Industry Guide, 2nd Edition. Philadelphia, PA: Kogan Page.
- Pink, D (1999). Drive: The Surprising Truth About What Motivates Us. New York, NY: Riverhead Hardcover.
- Rogers, C. (2003). Client-Centered Therapy: It's Current Implications, Practice and Theory. London: Constable.
- Seligman, M. (1998). Learned Optimism: How To Change Your Mind and Your Life. New York, NY: Free Press.
Top of Page