Crisis & Trauma:
Identification, Assessment and Treatment
for Acute and Prolonged Symptoms
15 CE Credits - Online Course - $139.00 (including Informed Consent Form)
Developed by Sage DeBeixedon Breslin, Ph.D. and David Van Nuys, Ph.D.
Course fulfills the Crisis and Trauma Counseling requirement for pre-licensure for LPCCs in CA.
Please verify the regulations and requirements prior to registration at
http://www.bbs.ca.gov/lpcc_program/index.shtml and http://calpcc.org/lpcc
CE Credits for Psychologists,
LMFTs, LPCCs, LEPs & LCSWs (BBS) Social
Counselors (NBCC, NAADAC, CALPCC), Nurses (BRN) & More
This course is also offered as part of a Pre-licensing
Savings Package of pre-requisite courses.
Save time & money with our Online Packages.
1. Sign up securely online.
2. Read articles.
3. Submit evaluation & post-test.
4. Print your certificate.
To order this Course now
GENERAL COURSE DESCRIPTION
In an age where trauma and tragedy is nearly becoming commonplace, clinicians must arm themselves with education and training in the management of crisis and trauma. This foundational course will provide a comprehensive overview of Trauma Theory, a review of the research on the management of crisis and trauma, tools for best identifying, assessing and treating acute and prolonged symptoms associated with trauma, and musings on the future of Trauma Recovery.
The course is comprised of 12 articles and 4 audiotaped interviews. The first set of articles provides definitions and descriptions of various responses to critical or traumatic incidents. The second set of articles reviews a range of impacts that may occur as a result of traumatic exposure. Measures available for the assessment of acute and long-term symptoms associated with traumatic experience are summarized in the next document. The next set of articles and interviews comprehensively reviews a broad range of interventions for the treatment of trauma and trauma sequelae. Techniques and therapies range from those that manage acute trauma, to those that facilitate resolution of enduring impacts of trauma. The interview which follows presents a critical examination of the management of trauma in modern times. The next three documents present impacts and interventions associated with the sequelae of specific forms of trauma. Following the presentation of these more formal and academic documents, one man's journey from torture to triumph is presented in more narrative form. Finally, a list of resources, references, assessment instruments and updates is available for the clinician as well as for members of the general public.
This course will teach psychotherapists to
- Summarize the research on crisis and disaster response.
- Name the roles encountered and engaged in Crisis Management.
- Note the foundational elements associated with the SOS Model of Crisis Management.
- Review the evolution of the field of Trauma Recovery.
- Identify common impacts of trauma on physical, emotional, cognitive and social function.
- Describe a variety of acute symptoms of traumatic response.
- Relate a variety of symptoms that may appear over an extended period of time.
- Note tools that may be valuable in the identification and assessment of trauma sequelae.
- Cite models and interventions that are currently in use for the treatment of trauma and PTSD.
- Review alternative perspectives on PTSD.
- Report the criteria for making the diagnosis of PTSD per the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual (DSM).
- Summarize the primary elements of Critical Incident Stress Debriefing (CISD).
- Describe the use of EMDR in Trauma Recovery.
- Note how Prolonged Exposure Therapy can be used to modify symptoms of PTSD.
- Review the benefits of innovative interventions such as Modified Intuitive Prolonged Exposure Therapy (MIPET).
- What constitutes a crisis?
- How does an event become "traumatic"?
- Foundations of Crisis Theory
- Multidisciplinary Response to Trauma:
- First Responders
- Fire Department
- Government Agencies
- Coast Guard
- Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force
- FBI, CIA
- Aid Organizations
- American Red Cross, CARE, Salvation Army, UNICEF, United Way
- Second Responders
- Physicians & Medical Professionals
- Clinicians & Psychotherapists
- Ministers & Priests
- Hotline Personnel
- Shelter and Emergency Relief Personnel
- Identification of Acute and Long-term Trauma
- Impacts of trauma
- Interpersonal & Social
- Assessment of Trauma and Trauma Sequelae
- Intervention and Treatment Approaches for the Management and Resolution of Crisis and Trauma
- Critical Incident Stress Debriefing
- CBITS: Cognitive Behavioral Intervention for Trauma in Schools
- TARGET-A: Trauma Affect Regulation: Guidelines for Education and Therapy for Adolescents and Pre-Adolescents
- Trauma-Informed Organizational Self-Assessment
- AF-CBT: Alternatives for Families: A Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- ARC: Attachment, Self-regulation, and Competency: A Comprehensive Framework for Intervention with Complexly Traumatized Youth
- CM-TFT: Culturally Modified Trauma-Focused Treatment
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- CPC-CBT: Combined Parent-Child Cognitive Behavioral Approach for Children and Families at Risk for Child Abuse
- DBT-SP: Adapted Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Special Populations
- ITCT: Integrative Treatment of Complex Trauma
- MMTT: Multimodality Trauma Treatment (aka Trauma-Focused Coping in Schools)
- PCIT: Parent Child Interaction Therapy
- SPARCS: Structured Psychotherapy for Adolescents Responding to Chronic Stress
- TAP: Assessment-Based Treatment for Traumatized Children: Trauma Assessment Pathway
- TF-CBT: Trauma-Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- TG-CBT: Trauma Focused- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Child Traumatic Grief
- TGCT: Trauma and Grief Component Therapy for Adolescents
- CARE: Child-Adult Relationship Enhancement
- CPP: Child-Parent Psychotherapy
- IFACES: International Family, Adult and Child Enhancement Services, Heartland Health Outreach
- Modified Intuitive Prolonged Exposure Therapy and Spiritual Reconnection
- RLF: Real Life Heroes
- Sanctuary Model
- TST: Trauma Systems Therapy
- Critique of the Management and Treatment of Crisis and Trauma
- Existential Resolution & Peace
- Applications for Trauma Survivors by Type
- Combat & War
- Auto Accidents
- References & Resources
For Authors' Bios, click here and click here.
To order this Course now