Equine Assisted Psychotherapy:
8 CE Credits/Hours - Online Course - $79.00
Developed by Diana Poulson, M.A., MFT
CE Credits for Psychologists. CE Credits (CEUs) for LMFTs, Social Workers, Counselors and Nurses.
CE Approvals by BBS-CA, ASWB, NBCC, NAADAC, CA-BRN & more.
Zur Institute is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Zur Institute maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
This course is also offered as part of an Animal Assisted Psychotherapy
Certificate Program of 18 CE Credits.
Save time & money with our Online Packages.
1. Sign up securely online.
2. Read/watch articles & videos.
3. Submit evaluation & post-test.
4. Print your certificate.
To order this Course now
GENERAL COURSE DESCRIPTION
As the field of Equine Assisted Psychotherapy (EAP) or Equine Facilitated Psychotherapy (EFP) grows, clients and psychotherapists are discovering the value this therapy holds for treating many different issues. While foundational issues were described in our first course, Equine Assisted Psychotherapy: Straight Talk from the Horse's Mouth, this course begins to explore how EFP/EAP has been reported to be successful with trauma clients, from combat veterans to survivors of sexual assault, as well as with youth at risk.
This course is an introductory course about Equine Assisted/Facilitated Psychotherapy. You will view one short video and read six articles. The video documents the experiences of combat veterans and family members who are finding healing at the barn. The articles define and describe different approaches, the terminology associated with the different philosophies, and how the therapy may differ from practitioner to practitioner. Various exercises and group curriculum for treating trauma clients are reviewed. Practical considerations in setting up an equine therapy practice are also discussed.
Disclaimer: This course is purely educational and does not intend to serve as a license (or permission) to mental health professionals to prescribe or practice any of the approaches discussed in this course unless they fall within the scope of practice of your profession. Check with your licensing board about the scope of practice of your profession to make sure you practice within that scope.
This course will teach the participant to
- Demonstrate an understanding of Equine Assisted Psychotherapy (EAP) or Equine Facilitated Psychotherapy (EFP)
- Summarize the various approaches to EAP/EFP
- Note the kinds of animals that have been incorporated into treatment of human conditions
- Determine how EAP/EFP might be useful alone or as an adjunct to traditional treatment
- Identify clients that may be helped by EAP/EFP
- Evaluate the effectiveness of EAP/EFP on trauma
- Select appropriate EAP/EFP practitioners
- Describe how EAP/EFP can be integrated into current treatment approaches
- Prepare for further study in the field
- Equine-Assisted Psychotherapy: Defined and Described
- What is the healing nature of horses?
- How are therapists practicing Equine Assisted/Facilitated Psychotherapy?
- The impact that horse nature has on human relationships
- Special Applications of Equine Assisted/Facilitated Psychotherapies
- Treating the Emotional Personality
- Treating sexual trauma with EFP Group Therapy
- Pilot study of a 10-week EFP group for adult women
- Helping combat veterans heal
- References & Resources
To order this Course now