Holistic and Nutritional Approaches in Mental Health
This resource page is part of two Online Courses
Nutrition and Mental Health
Holistic and Nutritional Approaches to Treating Psychological Disorders
CE Credits for Psychologists. CE Credits (CEUs) for LMFTs, Social Workers, Counselors and Nurses.
CE Approvals by BBS-CA, ASWB, NBCC, NAADAC, CA-BRN & more.
Zur Institute is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. Zur Institute maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
- Amen Clinics
American Association of Naturopathic Physicians. Learn more about naturopathy and find a certified naturopathic physician.
Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders
Robert Hedaya's Facebook page, The National Center for Whole Psychiatry is open access
Family Doctor.org offers consumer-oriented information on nutrition and mental health
- Food for the Brain
Integrative Medicine. The website of psychiatrist James Greenblatt contains information on integrative medicine and a changing list of free webinars.
Integrative Medicine for Mental Health features articles and a registry of integrative physicians
The Mental Health Foundation
The Mind-Body Clinic. The website for Stephen Ducat has resources and fact sheets for consumers and clinicians.
- The Natural Gourmet Institute for Health and Culinary Arts
www.HelpGuide.org in collaboration with Harvard Health Publications, Harvard Medical School
- Nutrition for Mental Health
Jonathan Prousky, ND, MSc. Prousky's website contains an extensive list of publications outlining his approach to a list of specific disorders, including anorexia, anxiety, depression, autism, migraines, and many others, as well as a list of organizations to support patients with various disabilities.
- TrueHope: Leaders in Brain Health
Journals & Articles
- Amen, Daniel - Unleash the Power of the Female Brain: Supercharging Yours for Better Health, Energy, Mood, Focus, and Sex
- Baker, SM, Bennett, P, & Bland, J (2005). Textbook of Functional Medicine. Institute for Functional Medicine
- Greenblatt, James (2011). The Breakthrough Depression Solution: A Personalized Nine-Step Method for Beating the Physical Causes of Your Depression. Sunrise River Press
- Greenblatt, James (2014). Answers to Appetite Control: New Hope for Binge Eating and Weight Management. CreateSpace Publishing Platform
- Greenblatt, James (2010). Answers to Anorexia: A Breakthrough Nutritional Treatment That Is Saving Lives. Sunrise River Press
- Guyol, Gracelyn - Healing Depression & Bipolar Disorder Without Drugs: Inspiring Stories of Restoring Mental Health Through Natural Therapies
- Hedaya, Robert (2001). The Antidepressant Survival Guide: The Clinically Proven Program to Enhance the Benefits and Beat the Side Effects of Your Medication. Harmony Press
- Hoffer, Abram & Saul, Andrew - The Vitamin Cure for Alcoholism: How to Protect Against and Fight Alcoholism Using Nutrition and Vitamin Supplementation
- Ilardi, Stephen - The Depression Cure
- Marohn, Stephanie - The Natural Medicine Guide to Bipolar Disorder
- McLeod, Malcolm - Lifting Depression: The Chromium Connection
- Prousky, Jonathan (2013). Textbook of Integrative Clinical Nutrition. CCNM Press
General – Mental Health and Nutrition
Resources for Specific Conditions
Chronic Fatigue, Adrenal Fatigue
Pediatric Mood Disorders
- Shannon, Scott (2009). Integrative Approaches to Pediatric Mood Disorders, Alternative Therapies in Health & Medicine 15 (5)
Critique and Caution in the Use of Supplements in the Treatment of Mental Health Conditions
Disclaimer: The content of this course and this site is for informational purposes only. Nothing contained in this course or this site is or should be considered or used as a substitute for professional medical or mental health advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Consult with a licensed, quality medical professional about diagnosis, treatment, and health care advice before a change or proposed change in a treatment plan. The course encourages clinicians and patients to clearly differentiate between supplements and FDA approved drugs.
Top of Page