Expert Witness & Forensic Consultations
Ofer Zur, Ph.D., Director, Zur Institute, Sonoma, CA
Fellow of the American Psychological Association
Ofer Zur, Ph.D., is an experienced licensed psychologist, psychotherapist, fellow of the American Psychological Association - APA (Div 42), nationally acclaimed author, expert witness and forensic consultant and the founder and director of the Zur Institute. His breakthrough book Boundaries in Psychotherapy, which is widely considered one of the most comprehensive book on therapeutic boundaries to date, was published by American Psychological Association (APA) in 2007. He has been teaching ethics at the graduate and post-graduate levels for over 20 years, and he has published extensively in the area of standard of care as it pertains to issues such as confidentiality, record keeping, scope of practice, diagnosis, treatment and the broad area of therapeutic boundaries. In addition to his active psychotherapy practice, he consults with attorneys, psychologists, social workers, marriage and family therapists, psychiatrists and counselors on issues of boundaries and the standard of care regarding licensing board complaints, personal injury and medical malpractice cases.
For Dr. Zur's C.V., click here.
To contact Dr. Zur via e-mail, click here, or call 707-922-6422.
Summary of Dr. Zur's Unique and Outstanding Qualifications:
- He has trained thousands of psychotherapists in his ethics classes and workshops at graduate and post-graduate levels for over twenty years.
- Dr. Zur, Licensed Psychologist, has been in private psychotherapy practice since 1988 to present time.
- He co-edited the landmark book, Dual Relationships and Psychotherapy, published by Springer Pub. in 2002.
- In 2003 he authored the breakthrough best seller, The HIPAA Compliance Kit, distributed by W. W. Norton.
- His latest book, Boundaries in Psychotherapy, is widely considered the most comprehensive book on therapeutic boundaries to date, published in 2007 by American Psychological Association, APA Books.
- His online continuing education program has more than 140 courses and is approved to provide continuing education credit to psychologists, and also approved by the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS), National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC), Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) and other accrediting bodies. For more information, click here.
- In 2008 he was nominated as a fellow of American Psychological Association (APA), Div. 42.
- His online Certificate Program in Advanced Ethics Studies in Psychotherapy is probably the most comprehensive program on the ethics and law of psychotherapy and counseling.
- Dr. Zur is a renowned expert in the area of standard of care and therapeutic boundaries and is one of the most prolific writers on the topics of dual relationships, sexual and non-sexual touch in therapy, self-disclosure, gifts, bartering, fees, telehealth, etc. Many of his publications are available online.
- His work has been instrumental in changing the professional attitudes and understanding of the importance of flexibility and therapeutic context in legal, ethical and clinical applications of multiple relationships and other psychotherapeutic boundaries.
- His writing has been a major factor in dispelling myths, such as the erroneous beliefs that:
- Dual relationships or multiple relationships are inherently unethical.
- Non-sexual touch is below the standard of care and inevitably leads to sex.
- The standard of care is based on risk management principles.
- Clinically appropriate boundary crossings often lead to illegal and unethical boundary violations.
Dr. Zur's expert consultations include the following areas:
- Standard of care
- Psychotherapist-patient sex
- Scope of practice
- Duty to warn
- Suicide & Danger to Self
- Inappropriate Termination & Abandonment
- Digital Ethics & TeleMental Health:
- E-Mail, texts, etc. between providers & patients
- Online postings
- Phone, chats and video-conferencing
- Social Medial
- Online confidentiality
- Negative postings & Digital harassment
- Therapists Googling or online searching clients
- TeleMental Health, Telehealth E-Counseling, Tele-Psychology
- Treatment planning
- Treatment of Borderline, PTSD, Major Depression, Bipolar, Anxiety, Addiction and other mental disorders
- HIPAA Compliance and Violations
- Dual/Multiple relationships
- Boundary violations
- Record keeping
- Conflict of interest
- Risk management
- Power and undue influence
- Transference abuse
- Psychotherapist-patient sexual involvement
- Sexual & non-sexual touch
- Fees & Bartering
- Therapy outside the office
- Home visits
- Adventure therapy
- Home office
In summary, Dr. Zur brings a unique and non-dogmatic approach to his forensic consultations and expert witness work. His graduate teaching and broad clinical experience, combined with extensive research and professional publications, make him a most qualified and credible authority on the clinical, ethical and legal aspects of standard of care of psychotherapy and counseling. He is highly qualified in helping attorneys cross-exam rigid and uninformed expert witnesses who take the position that boundary crossings (gifts, touch, self-disclosure, etc.) are always harmful and that dual relationships are inherently unethical and below the standard of care, or those expert witnesses who, ignorantly, equate risk-management principles and the standard of care.
For Dr. Zur's C.V., click here.
For Dr. Zur's publications, click here
To contact Dr. Zur regarding availability, fees, etc., email him at email@example.com or call his office at 707-922-6422.
For ethics and clinical consultations for psychotherapists, click here.