Consultations for Psychotherapists, Counselors
& Other Mental Health Professionals
On Ethical and Clinical Issues
By Ofer Zur, Ph.D.
Director, Zur Institute, Sebastopol, CA
To inquire further about Dr. Zur's consultations, email us at info@ZurInstitute.com
Expert Witness Services & Consultations with Attorneys
As psychotherapists, counselors, MFTs and social workers we often face complex ethical and clinical challenges. Consulting with an expert can help you in the following ways:
- It can help you make informed ethical and clinical decisions.
- It can help you think more broadly and more creatively, thus aiding you in making a thorough risk-benefit analysis.
- It is likely to help protect you against false accusations by disgruntled clients and licensing boards.
- It can help in your defense against clients who file malpractice suits against you.
- It can identify the standard of care that is applied to your specific situation. (Remember, in many cases, the standard of care cannot be simply read in a textbook; it is often defined by opposing experts, in courts.)
Ofer Zur, Ph.D. is an experienced ethics, clinical and forensic consultant in mental health related issues. He has been teaching Ethics at the graduate and post-graduate levels for over 20 years, and he has published extensively in the area of standard of care as it pertain to issues such as confidentiality, record keeping, scope of practice, diagnosis, treatment and the broad area of therapeutic boundaries. He has been director of the Zur Institute for almost 20 years, and he has been consulting with psychologists, social workers, marriage and family therapists, counselors and attorneys on issues of boundaries and the standard of care regarding licensing board complaints, personal injury and medical malpractice cases.
Summary Of Dr. Zur's Unique And Outstanding Qualifications:
- He has trained thousands of psychotherapists in his ethics classes and workshops at graduate and post-graduate levels for over twenty years.
- He has been the champion of the fight against managed care abuses and a champion of Managed-Care-Free Private Practice. His Private Practice Kit has been revised numerous times since he started teaching Private Practice workshops in 1988.
- He co-edited the landmark book, Dual Relationships and Psychotherapy, published by Springer Pub. in 2002.
- In 2003 he authored the breakthrough best seller, The HIPAA Compliance Kit, distributed by W. W. Norton.
- His online continuing education program has more than 170 courses and is approved by American Psychological Association (APA), California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBS), National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC), Association of Social Work Boards (ASWB) and other accrediting bodies. More information
- His online Certificate Program in Advanced Ethics Studies in Psychotherapy is probably the most comprehensive program on the ethics and law of psychotherapy and counseling.
- His book, Boundaries In Psychotherapy, is the most comprehensive book on therapeutic boundaries to date, published in 2007 by American Psychological Association, APA Books.
- His latest book: Zur, O. (Ed.) (2017) Multiple Relationships in Psychotherapy and Counseling: Unavoidable, Common and Mandatory Dual Relations in Therapy. New York: Routledge. The book debunks the slowly fading away myth that “all dual relationships are unethical” and explores the complex meaning of the statement that “not all dual relationships are unethical. It covers the widest range of multiple relationships to include, mandated, unavoidable and common dual relationships in therapy.
- Dr. Zur is a renowned expert in the area of standard of care and therapeutic boundaries in mental health related services and is one of the most prolific writers on the topics of dual relationships, sexual and non-sexual touch in therapy, self-disclosure, gifts, bartering, fees, telehealth, etc. Many of his publications are available online.
- His work has been instrumental in changing the professional attitudes and understanding of the importance of flexibility and therapeutic context in legal, ethical and clinical applications of multiple relationships and other psychotherapeutic boundaries.
- His writing has been a major factor in dispelling myths, such as the erroneous beliefs that dual relationships are inherently unethical, that multiple relationships and non-sexual touch inevitably lead to sexual relationships and that clinically appropriate boundary crossings lead to illegal and unethical boundary violations.
- He has been one of the most outspoken critics of the application of rigid risk-management practices, which are often done at the expense of clinical integrity and quality patient care.
Dr. Zur's expert consultations include standard of care issues, such as:
- Boundary Crossing & Boundary Violations
- Dual/Multiple Relationships (social, business, etc.)
- Home Office
- Home Visits
- Touch in Therapy
- Self-Disclosure & Transparency
- Retirement & Closing the Office
- Therapy Outside the Office & Adventure Therapy
- Transference Abuse
- Treatment Planning
- Psychotherapist-patient Sexual Involvement
- Conflict of Interest
- Risk Management
- Scope of Practice
- Standard of Care
- Power and Undue Influence
- Digital Ethics & TeleMental Health:
- Therapists Responding Negative Online Postings (i.e., on YELP)
- Digital Harrassment
- Online Postings
- Social Media
- Ethical/Clinical use of Texts & E-Mails in Therapy
- Therapists Googling or Online Searching Clients
- TeleMental Health, E-Counseling, Tele-Psychology
- Ethics of Coaching: Coaching vs. Psychotherapy
Dr. Zur brings a unique, non-dogmatic and creative approach to his consultations. His graduate teaching and broad clinical experience, combined with extensive research and professional publications, make him a most qualified authority on the clinical, ethical and legal aspects of standard of care of psychotherapy and counseling.
Services For Therapists
Ethical Consultation For PsychotherapistsThis phone or in-person consultation will help you understand the ethical complexities involved in your situation and chart an ethical, clinically appropriate and defensible course of action. The consultation will help you understand the issues of standard of care and will point out the sections of the codes of ethics that are most relevant to your case.
Clinical Consultation For Psychotherapists
Bring in your most difficult cases; develop treatment plans; explore how to increase your effectiveness; and learn how to prevent burnout.
Build & Sustain A Managed-Care-Free Practice
This private practice consultation teaches psychotherapists how to market, manage and conduct effective therapy in a fee-for-service private practice and what are some of the basic clinical forms you may need to employ. This is an individualized approach to management, marketing, and exploring the resources available in your own community, and creating a strategy on how to use them. For free online articles on managed care free practices, go to the articles page.
Arrange for Dr. Zur to lecture in YOUR AREA.
List of workshops, seminars and lectures offered by Dr. Zur
Top of Page