Online Course Materials: Articles Audios Articles
Developed by Sage de Beixedon Breslin, Ph.D.
General Course Description
- This course will teach the participant to:
- Define and diagnose Bipolar Disorder and describe symptoms generally associated with it.
- Identify differences in symptoms for those with Bipolar Disorder vs. Unipolar Depression.
- Describe the differences between Bipolar I Disorder, Schizoaffective Disorder and Schizophrenia.
- Summarize the ways in which the treatment of Pediatric Bipolar Disorder differs from the treatment of Bipolar Disorder in adults.
- Identify the different classes of medications used to treat Bipolar Disorder and their side effects.
- Review some of the classic and contemporary non-pharmaceutical treatments for Bipolar.
- Recite some of the alternative explanations for symptoms that might otherwise be perceived as evidence of Bipolar Disorder.
- Describe concerns voiced about diagnosing children with Bipolar Disorder.
- Cosgrove, V. E., & Suppes, T. (2013). Informing DSM-5: biological boundaries between bipolar I disorder, schizoaffective disorder, and schizophrenia. BMC medicine, 11 (1), 127.
- Miziou, S., Tsitsipa, E., Moysidou, S., Karavelas, V., Dimelis, D., Polyzoidou, V., & Fountoulakis, K. N. (2015). Psychosocial treatment and interventions for bipolar disorder: a systematic review. Annals of general psychiatry, 14 (1), 19.
- Pålsson, E., Figueras, C., Johansson, A. G., Ekman, C. J., Hultman, B., Östlind, J., & Landén, M. (2013). Neurocognitive function in bipolar disorder: a comparison between bipolar I and II disorder and matched controls. BMC psychiatry, 13 (1), 165.
- Introduction to Bipolar Disorder
- Definition, Descriptions, Demographics and Prevalence
- Differentiating between Bipolar Disorder, Schizoaffective Disorder and Schizophrenia
- Bipolar Disorder in Children and Adolescents
- Medications and Side Effects:
- SSRIs and SSNRIs
- Atypical Antidepressants
- Mood Stabilizers
- Calcium Channel Blockers
- Non-pharmaceutical Treatment
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Interpersonal and social rhythm therapy
- Intensive Psychosocial Intervention
- Mindfulness-based Interventions
- Assertive Community Treatment (ACT)
- Critique of medical-psychiatric-pharmaceutical approaches
- Glossary of terms