Certificate Program in Advanced Ethics Studies In Psychotherapy
Online Course Materials: Articles Audios Articles Videos
68 CE Credit Hours – $340 (save an amazing $483)
Most Unique & One-Of-A-Kind Certificate Program
This unique certificate program offers one of the most comprehensive and advanced courses of study in ethics available in the field of psychotherapy and mental health. It includes fourteen online courses with all the essential Clinical, HIPAA and Treatment Plan Forms and 68 CE Credit Hours. Unlike most courses in ethics, this certificate program focuses on critical thinking, clinical integrity, moral behavior and clients’ care rather than on risk management, fear of attorneys and boards or rigid application of the codes of ethics.
- Upon completion of the courses, you will receive, via email, a two-page pdf of your certificate of completion for your course of study, “Advanced Ethics Studies in Psychology.”
- You will receive individual course certificates upon completion of each course.
- You do not have to complete a certificate or a course in one sitting.
- You can complete these courses in more than one session over a three-year period.
Disclaimer: The courses offered in this certificate program regarding Ethics are purely educational and do not intend to serve as a license (or permission) to mental health professionals to prescribe or practice any of the approaches discussed in this certificate program unless they fall within the scope of practice of your profession. Check with your licensing board about the scope of practice of your profession to make sure you practice within that scope. It also does not serve as a permission to title yourself in any specific way.
Upon completion of the fourteen online courses described below, participants will receive a certificate indicating the exact courses that were completed and a detailed description of the subjects covered by this program.
In addition to the fourteen courses, the program will provide you with 58 basic clinical forms in word doc format that are available online and ready to be personalized and used in your practice. Review the clinical forms. Additionally, the basic HIPAA and Treatment Planning forms are provided.
Why do I need a Certificate in Advanced Ethics Studies?
- The program will provide you with the tools and conceptual framework for ethical decision-making.
- The certificate attests to your commitment to achieving an advanced post-graduate level of ethical knowledge and clinical integrity.
- In case of a board investigation or malpractice suit, the certificate will demonstrate that your formal education exceeds that required by licensing and professional boards. This will hopefully enhance the strength of your defense and proof of competence in such hearings.
- If you are involved in clinically helpful boundary crossing, such as self-disclosure, home visits, touch, gifts or bartering, this specialized training provides proof that you voluntarily sought additional education and training to incorporate these aspects of therapy into a critically considered treatment plan.
- If you practice in a small or rural community and/or are engaged in unavoidable and/or helpful social or other dual relationships, this program provides you with documentation that you have secured the knowledge and tools necessary to conduct yourself in a clinical and ethically appropriate manner in regard to dual relationships and other boundary issues.
How Does It Work?
- All courses are offered online. They are 100% Web based.
- The texts of the courses are online articles posted on the Web in simple html or pdf format. Some courses include audio or video files. To access course material that is in PDF format, you need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader. If you do not have it download for free.
- Neither passwords nor special software or equipment are required.
- You will find the Clinical Forms upon registration for the courses, specifically in the Record Keeping course materials.
- You can use these individual courses to fulfill your CE credits for license renewal. CE Board Approvals.
- After reading the material for each course, participants will take a posttest, fill out a course evaluation and, assuming you passed the test, receive a certificate of completion.
- Upon successful completion of individual courses, participants will receive a certificate of completion for the individual course.
- You can complete each course according to your own schedule. You can do it in one sitting or as many sessions as you wish.
- You can take up to three years to complete the courses. You can spread the CE credits over your licensing renewal periods.
- Upon successful completion of all courses, a special certificate for the Advanced Ethics Studies program will be sent to you in pdf format via email.
General Topics Of The Program
- Standard of care: What it is and what it is not.
- Ethical decision-making: A process based on critical thinking, clinical integrity, knowledge of the ethics codes and state and federal laws and an examination of how best to serve the welfare of clients.
- Digital Ethics: A comprehensive review of of the ethical and clinical complexities that have been presented by digital technologists, such as clients Googling therapists, therapists Googling clients, e-mails and texting between therapists and clients, clients as facebook friends, and much more.
- Codes of ethics: Thorough review of selected sections of the APA, CAMFT, NASW, ACA and other organizations’ codes of ethics.
- Critical thinking: The process of critical thinking and its application to ethical and clinical decision-making.
- Risk management: A critical analysis of the origin of risk management and the potential dangers that risk management practices pose to psychotherapy. Guidelines for ethical risk management practices are provided.
- Record Keeping, Termination, Subpoenas: Ethical, clinical and legal issues pertaining to these topics are discussed and detailed guidelines are provided.
- Boundary crossing: Clinical, ethical and legal considerations are discussed and guidelines are provided for boundary crossings, such as self disclosure, touch, gifts, bartering, home visits, etc.
- Dual relationships: Unavoidable and helpful forms of dual relationships are described and guidelines are provided.
- Power in Psychotherapy: In depth analysis of the power relationships in psychotherapy and critical look at the “power differential” myth.
- HIPAA: Review of HIPAA regulations and step-by-step process of compliance is described. HIPAA forms are provided.
- A critical look at the field of psychotherapy: A critique of self-serving beliefs and practices in the field of psychotherapy.
- Treatment plans: Treatment plans are like the blueprints of therapy. Having a plan is part of the standard of care. Regardless of their theoretical orientations, therapists should have a map, describing the expected therapeutic journey.
- Clinical-Ethical-Legal Guidelines provided:
- Ethical decision-making
- Treatment planning
- Record Keeping
- Boundary crossing
- Dual relationships
- Ethical risk management
- Touch in psychotherapy
- Bartering in psychotherapy
- Resources: The certificate program provides numerous online articles and other resources for guidelines, codes of ethics, boards’ regulations, states’ laws and more.
This certificate program will teach the participant to:
- Give guidelines for dealing with issues, such as confidentiality, record keeping, informed consents, scope of practice, dual relationships, minors, storage of records, subpoenas and more.
- Apply the cutting edge technological complexities of computers, email, faxes and, especially, their impact on privacy and confidentiality.
- Teach the participant how to deal with modern digital technologies (i.e., e-mail, texting, video conferencing) and social networking issues in clinical practice.
- Identify, define and differentiate between boundary crossing, boundary violations and dual relationships in psychotherapy.
- Summarize the ethical and clinical issues involved in boundary crossings, such as self-disclosure, non-sexual touch, gifts, home-visits, etc.
- Report on the standard of care and how it is being determined.
- Review, in depth, what HIPAA is and how to become compliant.
- Utilize the basic clinical and HIPAA forms for your practice.
- Compare the relationships between HIPAA, states’ laws and the codes of ethics.
- Relate a thorough review of the history of current codes of ethics of all major professional organizations in regard to record keeping, termination, fees, dual relationships, bartering, termination and more.
- Outline the ethical complexities brought about by managed care organizations.
- Appraise the process of risk-benefit analysis and of ethical decision-making in psychotherapy.
- Recommend how to ethically deal with diverse client populations and social justice issues.
- Apply further development of their ability for critical thinking as it pertains to ethical decisions.
- Summarize updated legal and ethical information.
- Apply the knowledge they need to make clinically and ethically sound and informed decisions.
- Describe how to avoid, when possible, and to deal ethically with conflict of interest in psychotherapy.
What Courses Are Included?