Counseling Older Adults
Online Course Materials: Audios Articles
Developed by Michael Brickey, Ph.D., ABPP
Course materials include audios with transcripts.
General Course Description
Counseling older adults has its own unique challenges and rewards. Understanding the perspectives and concerns of seniors can assist in more productive counseling. Even among elders, different generations have different values, issues, and counseling needs.
This intermediate course, consisting of 5 audio interview with text transcripts, offers an overview of issues germane to older adults. Anti-aging psychologist, Dr. Michael Brickey, interviews experts on counseling boomers and seniors. Following each interview, Dr. Brickey provides a summary of key points. Interviewees include Dr. Fiore who addresses how therapists can help people take charge when faced with cancer and other major health challenges. Dr. Zilbergeld discusses research on how sex and intimacy after fifty can be better than ever. Lynn Peters Adler’s decades of profiling centenarians gives us insight into the psychology of these 100-year-old role models. Finally, geriatric psychiatrist Dr. Marc Agronin describes how he counsels nursing home clients with dementia, and does so with great respect, reverence, and kindness.
Notes and a summary of each section is included at the end of this course.
- This course will teach the participant to:
- Describe identity and meaning issues in boomers and seniors.
- Describe how to help patients with life threatening illnesses develop the mental and emotional skills to optimally deal with the illness.
- Identify vital centenarian characteristics and how centenarians are role models for aging well.
- Describe how to counsel clients on enriching their love and sex lives, even when they have disabilities.
- Summarize how to counsel clients with dementia.
- Overview of different generations and what is important
- Tips on counseling older adults
- Notes on the Interviews
- Counseling Patients with Dementia, Interview with Marc Agronin, M.D.
- Sex & Love at Midlife: It Can Be Better Than Ever, Interview with George Zilbergeld, Ph.D. about Bernie Zilbergeld, Ph.D.
- Lynn Peters Adler, an attorney and director of the National Centenarian Awareness Project, shares her research and experiences with centenarians, seniors 100 years and older.
- Counseling to Develop Mental and Emotional Skills for Dealing with Cancer and Other Life-Threatening Diseases, Interview with Neil Fiore, Ph.D.