Performance Psychology: Optimizing Performance with Psychology
Online Course Materials: Articles Audios Articles
Developed by Nick Lazaris, Psy.D.
This course is not eligible for NBCC credit.
General Course Description
Performance Psychology is emerging as a practice area that focuses on applying psychological principles, theories, and skills to enhance optimal performance among populations such as performing artists, athletes, and those in the business world. This course explores the development of domain-specific knowledge and application of Psychological Skills Training (PST), such as those used in sport psychology, to allow for the consultant/practitioner to effect specific change in the performance of clients in pressure situations. Although geared to practitioners as an introduction to the field, ready-to-use skills and principles are presented for the practitioner to apply to their own performance as well as to the populations mentioned above.
This introductory-level course is appropriate for practitioners of all levels of experience. The first set of articles, Introduction to Performance Psychology, explores the history of performance consulting, as well as providing a look at domain-specific populations the practitioner is likely to work with in this field of consulting. The second section of the course, Is Performance Consulting for You? includes an interview with one of the leading authorities in the field of Performance Psychology, Dr. Kate Hays, as well as an assessment of your self-described readiness to practice as a performance consultant. The third set of articles, Psychological Skills for Performance Enhancement, includes specific descriptions and discussions around the skill-set of the performance consultant. The fourth section, Developing a Performance Consulting Practice, provides the practitioner with a comprehensive discussion of the skills and actions necessary to market and apply the previous skill set to specific populations. Additional resources and references are provided for further study, but they are not part of the course.
Disclaimer: This course is purely educational and does not intend to serve as a license (or permission) to mental health professionals to prescribe or practice any of the approaches discussed in this course unless they fall within the scope of practice of your profession. Check with your licensing board about the scope of practice of your profession to make sure you practice within that scope.It also does not serve as a permission to title yourself in any specific way.
- This course will teach the participant to
- Explain the history and purpose of performance psychology.
- Review basic Psychological Skills Training (PST) for performance enhancement.
- Apply the 4 steps to integrating performance psychology into a practice.
- Introduction to Performance Psychology
- Explore a brief history of performance psychology
- Application of performance consulting to domain-specific populations
- Assessment – Are You Ready for Performance Consulting?
- Psychological Skills for Performance Enhancement
- Specific cognitive skill-set and methods
- Specific arousal management skills
- Developing a Performance Psychology Practice
- Applying performance enhancement skills to desired populations
- Marketing the performance consulting practice