Child Abuse: Identification & Intervention Tools for the Clinician
Resources & References
Table Of Contents
Children’s Bureau of Southern California: 323-953-7356
Family Service Agencies:
Children’s Institute International: 323-385-5100 / 310-783-4677
Laura’s House (San Clemente, CA): 949-361-3775
Sarah Center (Long Beach CA): 310-427-7671
Parents Anonymous: 213-388-6685/800-352-0386(self-help group for parents who have been or are potentially abusive)
Parents United: 408-453-7616
(Self-help groups for incested or sexually-abusive families with groups for the offender, children and non-offending parent)
Child Abuse Reporting Telephone Numbers:
Los Angeles County (Child Abuse Hotline): 800-540-4000
Orange County, CA (Child Abuse Registry) 714-938-0505
ChildHelp USA 800-4ACHILD
Associations & Resources for Clinicians:
CA Consortium for the Prevention of Child Abuse: 916-648-8010
Child Sexual Abuse Network: 714-564-0805
InterAgency Council on Child Abuse and Neglect (ICAN): 818-575-4362
Orange County Child Abuse Prevention Center: 714-KID-4333
Comprehensive Child Sexual Abuse Assessment and Treatment Centers:
Child Abuse Service Team (CAST) (Orange, CA): 714-935-6390
Stuart House (Santa Monica, CA): 310-319-4248
California’s AB1775 (2014)
California’s 2014 highly controversial law, AB1775, requires psychotherapists, counselors and other mental health professionals to report if a patient has knowingly downloaded, streamed, or even simply accessed (that is, viewed) an electronic or digital image in which anyone under 18 “is engaged in an act of obscene sexual conduct.” That’s any image that lacks “scientific, literary, artistic, or political” value. Learn more about CA AB1775
Critique and Important Concerns about AB1775
- AB1775 New Law Undermines Therapy by Dr. Marty Klein
- A Child Abuse Law That Won’t Work
- Clinical Alert: Where Do You Stand Regarding Imminent Changes to Client Confidentiality (AB1775)?
See above for 2014 CA controversial law, AB1775, regarding mandate reporting of clients who view child porn.
According to the CPA Notices in September, 2011:
Mandated Child Abuse Reports are only required if the victim of abuse is still a minor:
If an adult reports to a psychologist that they were abused as a child, no child abuse report is mandated. The California Attorney General’s office has stated that, “The express language of the reporting law strongly suggests that the Legislature contemplated that a report is required only if the victim of the abuse is still a child.”
- Allbaugh, LJ., Florez, AI.,et al (2017). Child abuse—suicide resilience link in african american women: interpersonal psychological mediators, Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma, 26 (10), 1055-1071
- Azar, Sandra T.; McGuier, Devin J.; Miller, Elizabeth A.; Hernandez-Mekonnen, Robin; & Johnson, David R. (2017). Child neglect and maternal cross-relational social cognitive and neurocognitive disturbances, Journal of Family Psychology, 31 (1), 8-18.
- Baker, Charlene K.; Naai, Rachel; Mitchell, Jennifer; Trecker, Christine (2014) Utilizing a train-the-trainer model for sexual violence prevention: Findings from a pilot study with high school students of Asian and Pacific Islander descent in Hawai’i, Asian American Journal of Psychology, 5 (2), 106-115.
- Berenz, EC, Vujanovic, A, et al (2017). A multimodal study of childhood trauma and distress tolerance in young adulthood, Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma 1-16, doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/10926771.2017.1382636
- Davis, D., & Loftus, E.F. (2016) Remembering disputed sexual encounters. Journal of Criminal Law and Criminology, 105, 811-851.
- Delker, BC, Smith, CP, Rosenthal, MN, Bernstein, RE & Freyd, JJ (2017). When home is where the harm is: family betrayal and posttraumatic outcomes in young adulthood. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma 1-24, doi: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10926771.2017.1382639
- Delker, Brianna C & Freyd, Jennifer J (2017). Betrayed? that’s me: implicit and explicit betrayed self-concept in young adults abused as childrenJournal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma, 26 (7), 701-716
- Ensink, Karin; Berthelot, Nicolas; Biberdzic, Marko; Normandin, Lina (2016). The mirror paradigm: Assessing the embodied self in the context of abuse, Psychoanalytic Psychology, 33(3), 389-405
- Gatfield, Emma & Ho, Raymond (2017). Exploring patterns of relationship between trauma symptomization and family constellation: implications for working with trauma presentations in systemic practice, The American Journal of Family Therapy, 45 (4) https://doi.org/10.1080/01926187.2017.1348267
- Godbout, Natacha; Daspe, Marie-Ève; Lussier, Yvan; Sabourin, Stéphane; Dutton, Don; Hébert, Martine (2017). Early Exposure to Violence, Relationship Violence, and Relationship Satisfaction in Adolescents and Emerging Adults: The Role of Romantic Attachment, Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 9 (2), 127-137.
- Goodman, Gail S.; Goldfarb, Deborah; Quas, Jodi A.; Lyon, Alexandra (2017). Psychological counseling and accuracy of memory for child sexual abuse. American Psychologist 72 (9), 920-931
- Hershkowitz, I., Lamb, M. E., & Katz, C. (2014). Allegation rates in forensic child abuse investigations: Comparing the revised and standard NICHD protocols. Psychology, Public Policy, and Law, 20, 336–344.
- Hours, Armelle & Mayers, Linda A (2017). Finding a path toward re-enchantment in contexts of child maltreatment, Journal of Infant, Child, and Adolescent Psychotherapy, 16 (3), 198-205
- Ibraham, Jeyda, Cisgrave, Nicola & Woolgar, Matthew (2017). Childhood maltreatment and its link to borderline personality disorder features in children: A systematic review approach. Clinical Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 23(1): 57-76.
- Kendall-Tackett, K. A., Williams, L. M., & Finkelhor, D. (1993). Impact of sexual abuse on children: A review and synthesis of recent empirical studies. Psychological Bulletin, 113, 164 –180.
- Kenny, Maureen C.; Abreu, Roberto L.; Marchena, Marina T.; Helpingstine, Claire; Lopez-Griman, Angel; & Mathews, Ben (2017). Legal and clinical guidelines for making a child maltreatment report. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 48(6), 469-480
- Lang, Jason M.; Connell, Christian M. (2017). Development and validation of a brief trauma screening measure for children: The Child Trauma Screen, Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 9(3), 390-398.
- Lassri, Dana; Luyten, Patrick; Fonagy, Peter; & Shahar, Golan (2018). Undetected scars? Self-criticism, attachment, and romantic relationships among otherwise well-functioning childhood sexual abuse survivors. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, Vol 10(1), 121-129 http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/tra0000271.
- Loftus, E. F. (1993). The reality of repressed memory. American Psychologist, 48, 518–537.
- Lowell, Amanda & Renk, Kimberly (2017). Predictors of child maltreatment potential in a national sample of mothers of young children. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma, 26 (4), 335-353
- Marshall, Nastassja A. (2012). A clinician’s guide to recognizing and reporting parental psychological maltreatment of children, Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 43(2), 73-79.
- Mattos, Laurel A.; Schmidt, Adam T.; Henderson, Craig E.; Hogue, Aaron (2017). Therapeutic alliance and treatment outcome in the outpatient treatment of urban adolescents: the role of callous-emotional traits, Psychotherapy, 54(2), 136-147.
- McNally, R. J. (2005). Remembering trauma. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Melinder, A., Alexander, K., Cho, Y. I., Goodman, G. S., Thoresen, C., Lonnum, K., & Magnussen, S. (2010). Children’s eyewitness memory: A comparison of two interviewing strategies as realized by forensic professionals. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 105, 156–177.
- Meller, S, Kuperman, KL, McCullough, C & XShaffer, A (2016). Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma, 25 (2), 127-144
- Messman-Moore, T. L., & Bhuptani, P. H. (2017). A review of the long-term impact of child maltreatment on posttraumatic stress disorder and its comorbidities: An emotion dysregulation perspective. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 24, 154–169.
- Midgley, Nick, Ensing, Karin, Lindqvist, Karin, Malberg, Norka, and Muller, Nicole (2017). Mentalization-Based Treatment for Children: A Time-Limited Approach. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association
- Morris, G., Baker-Ward, L., & Bauer, P. J. (2010). What remains of that day: The survival of children’s autobiographical memories across time. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 24, 527–544.
- Murphy, S, Shevlin, M, Elkit, A et al (2017). Validating childhood maltreatment typologies using data linkage, Journal of Loss and Trauma, 1-14, https://doi.org/10.1080/15325024.2017.1404204.
- Nadel, L., Campbell, J., & Ryan, L. (2007). Autobiographical memory retrieval and hippocampal activation as a function of repetition and the passage of time. Neural Plasticity, 2007, 90472.
- Neumann, Eva (2017). Emotional abuse in childhood and attachment anxiety in adult romantic relationships as predictors of personality disorders. Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma, 430-443.
- Nguyen-Feng, Viann N.; Baker, Majel R.; Merians, Addie N.; & Frazier, Patricia A. (2017). Sexual victimization, childhood emotional abuse and distress: Daily coping and perceived control as mediators. Journal of Counseling Psychology 64(6), 672-683.
- Nguyen, Teresa P.; Karney, Benjamin R.; & Bradbury, Thomas N. (2017). Childhood abuse and later marital outcomes: Do partner characteristics moderate the association? Journal of Family Psychology 31(1), 82-92
- Ogle, C. M., Block, S. D., Harris, L. S., Goodman, G. S., Pineda, A., Timmer, S., … Saywitz, K. J. (2013). Autobiographical memory specificity in child sexual abuse victims. Development and Psychopathology, 25, 321–332.
- Osofsky, Joy, Stepka, Phillip, and King, Lucy (2017). Treating Infants and Young Children Impacted by Trauma:Interventions That Promote Healthy Development. Washington, DC: American Psychological Association.
- Pozzulo, Joanna (2016). The Young Eyewitness: How Well Do Children and Adolescents Describe and Identify Perpetrators? Washington, DC: American Psychological Association
- Pynoos, Robert S; Fairbank, John A.; Steinberg, Alan M.; Amaya-Jackson, Lisa; Gerrity, Ellen; Mount, Mary L.; Maze, Jenifer (2008). The National Child Traumatic Stress Network: collaborating to improve the standard of care, Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 39(4), 389-395.
- Quas, J. A., Goodman, G. S., Ghetti, S., Alexander, K. W., Edelstein, R., Redlich, A. D., … Jones, D. P. H. (2005). Childhood sexual assault victims: Long-term outcomes after testifying in criminal court. Monographs of the Society for Research in Child Development, 70(2, Serial No. 280).
- Quas, J. A., Goodman, G. S., & Jones, D. P. H. (2003). Predictors of attributions of self-blame and internalizing behavior problems in sexually abused children. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 44, 723–736.
- Ruiz, Elizabeth (2016). Trauma symptoms in a diverse population of sexually abused children, Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 8(6), 680-687.
- Ryan, Katherine; Lane, Shelly J.; Powers, Denise (2017). A multidisciplinary model for treating complex trauma in early childhood, International Journal of Play Therapy, 26(2), 111-123.
- Shevlin, Mark; Murphy, Siobhan; Elklit, Ask; Murphy, Jamie; Hyland, Philip (2017). Typologies of child sexual abuse: an analysis of multiple abuse acts among a large sample of danish treatment-seeking survivors of childhood sexual abuse, Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, Apr 03, 2017, No Pagination Specified.
- Shirk, Stephen R.; DePrince, Anne P.; Crisostomo, Patrice S.; Labus, Jennifer (2014). Cognitive behavioral therapy for depressed adolescents exposed to interpersonal trauma: An initial effectiveness trial, Psychotherapy, 5 (1) 167-179
- Skowron, Elizabeth A.; Kozlowski, JoEllen M.; Pincus, Aaron L. (2010). Differentiation, self–other representations, and rupture–repair processes: Predicting child maltreatment risk, Journal of Counseling Psychology, 57(3), 304-316.
- Tener, Dafna; Lusky, Efrat; Tarshish, Noam; & Turjeman, Shosh (2018). Parental attitudes following disclosure of sibling sexual abuse: A child advocacy center intervention study. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry, No Pagination Specified http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/ort0000311
- Titelius, Elise N.; Cook, Emily; Spas, Jayson ; Orchowski, Lindsay ; Kivisto, Katie ; O’Brien, Kimberly ; Frazier, Elisabeth ; Wolff, Jennifer C. ; Dickstein, Daniel P. ; Kim, Kerri L. ; Seymour, Karen E. (2017). Emotion dysregulation mediates the relationship between child maltreatment and non-suicidal self-injury, Journal of Aggression, Maltreatment & Trauma http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10926771.2017.1338814?journalCode=wamt20
- Vicario, Mary; Tucker, Catherine; Smith Adcock, Sondra; Hudgins-Mitchell, Carol (2013). Relational-cultural play therapy: Reestablishing healthy connections with children exposed to trauma in relationships. International Journal of Play Therapy, 22(2), 103-117.
- Wang, Yu-Wei; Heppner, P. Paul (2011). A qualitative study of childhood sexual abuse survivors in Taiwan: Toward a transactional and ecological model of coping, Journal of Counseling Psychology, 58 (3), 393-409.