Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)
Resources & References
and is also available as part of a Certificate Program:
Complementary & Alternative Medicine
Table Of Contents
Complementary & Alternative Medicine
Meditation & Mindfulness
Complementary & Alternative Medicine
General Resources on CAM
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine (NCCAM)
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine Research Guide
- The Integration of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) Into the Practice of Psychology: A Vision for the Future
- What is CAM? (APA Monitor)
- Collaborative and interdisciplinary research community in Canada generating knowledge through research on complementary, alternative, and integrative medicine/health
- What Is Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)?
- Complementary, Alternative, or Integrative Health: What’s In a Name? NIH
- Are You Considering Complementary Medicine? NIH
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM)
- Australian women’s use of Complementary and Alternative Medicines to enhance fertility
- Sleep Disorders and Complementary Health Approaches: What You Need To Know, (NIH – 2014)
- Experienced Practitioners Reap Genetic Changes After a Day of Mindfulness Meditation, (NIH – 2013)
Ethics & CAM
- Why Complementary & Alternative Medicine Practitioners Need a Code of Ethics
- Ethical problems arising in evidence based complementary and alternative medicine
- An Ethical Framework for CAM Research, Practice, and Policy
Nutrition & Mental Health
Animal Assisted Therapy
- Animal Assisted Psychotherapy
- Animal Assisted Psychotherapy: Resources
- Equine-Assisted Therapy
- Equine-Assisted Therapy: Resources
Critique of CAM & Differentiating Science from Psuedo-Science
- Investigating questionable, controversial, and novel claims in psychology. Evidence-Based Practice: The Misunderstandings Continue, by Scott Lilienfeld, Ph.D.
- Institute for Science in Medicine
- Scott Lilienfeld presents: The psychologist’s view on “What Neuroscience Can – and Can’t – Tell Us About Ourselves”
Meditation, Mindfulness & Mental Health
- How One Therapist is Using Meditation to Help Suffering Populations Heal, 2016, Psychotherapy Networker
- Mindfulness Meditation May Reduce Risk of Suicidal Thoughts in Middle Schoolers (NIH -2014)
- Articles by Elisha Golstein
- Blog by Sylvia Boorstein
- Birth, Death, and Rebirth – Annamaria Hemingway
- Centre of Gravity Meditation Center Blog – with Elisha Goldstein
- Honoring the Sacred Journey – Annamaria Hemingway
- The Laughing Guru: A story on Madan Kataria by Raffi Khatchadourian
- Is Laughter Really the Best Medicine? An exploration of laughter yoga with Michelle Oakes
- Mindfulness treatment as effective as CBT for depression and anxiety
- The Power of Laughter by Dr Madan Kataria
- Teacher Sensitivity: Affective Impact on Students by Dwight Webb (abstract free, article for purchase)
- What Are the Benefits of Mindfulness? A Practice Review of Psychotherapy-Related Research
- What are the benefits of mindfulness
- Awake in the World: Teachings from Yoga and Buddhism for Living an Engaged Life by Michael Stone
- Beyond Forgiveness: Reflections on Atonement by Phil Cousineau
- Building Heaven on Earth: Claiming our human spirit by Dwight Webb
- Happiness is an Inside Job by Sylvia Boorstein
- Mindfulness Based Stress-Reduction Workbook by Bob Stahl & Elisha Goldstein
- Pay Attention, for Goodness’ Sake! By Sylvia Boorstein
- Practicing Conscious Living and Dying: Stories of the Eternal Continuum of Consciousness by Annamaria Hemingway
- The Now Effect: How a mindful moment can change your life by Elisha Goldstein
- The Secrets of the Bulletproof Spirit: How to Bounce Back from Life’s Hardest Hits by Azim Khamisa & Jillian Quinn
- Understanding Behaviorism: Behavior, Culture, and Evolution by William Baum
- American Association for Integrative Medicine
- American Psychiatric Association
- American Psychological Association
- Association pour le Developpement de la Mindfulness: France
A center for the study of Mindfulness in France
- Association Suisse de Psychotherapie Cognitive
(ASPCO) features both workshops and professional training in Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy
- Bay Area Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression: San Francisco, CA
A center for the study of Mindfulness in San Francisco, CA
- California State Psychological Association
- Center for Mindfulness at UC San Diego: San Diego, CA
The UCSD Center for Mindfulness is a multi-faceted program of clinical care, professional training, education, research and outreach intended to further the practice and integration of mindfulness into the lives of individuals throughout the healthcare and educational system, including patients, healthcare providers, students, teachers and business people.The foundation and core of the Center for Mindfulness is Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) as it was developed by Jon Kabat-Zinn, Ph.D and the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. Dr. Kabat-Zinn and his program were featured prominently in the award-winning PBS television series Healing and the Mind, and the profound effects of this work have begun to be strongly supported by a large body of scientific research.
- The Centre for Mindfulness Research and Practice: University of Wales, Bangor, United Kingdom
A centre which carries out both introductory and advanced training in mindfulness teaching
- The Center for Mindfulness: Fresno, CA
Offers mindfulness-based psychotherapy, couples counseling, workshops, retreats and customized programs in mindful living to individuals and organizations throughout the Central San Joaquin Valley
- Endocrine Society
- European Society of Hypnosis in Psychotherapy and Psychosomatic Medicine
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing International Association (EMDRIA)
- InsightLA: Santa Monica, CA
Deepen your practice through one of InsightLA’s classes for those with some meditation experience – Explore the teachings of the Buddha, and bring them alive in your own life
- International Society for the Study of Dissociation (ISSD)
- International Society of Hypnosis (ISH)
- International Transactional Analysis Association (ITAA)
- The Italian Institute for Mindfulness: Italy
A center for the study of Mindfulness in Italy
- Mental Health Foundation – Be Mindful: United Kingdom
A campaign, by the Mental Health Foundation, raising awareness about the benefits of mindfulness – includes video interviews with Ruby Wax, who uses mindfulness and Mark Williams explaining how Mindfulness works to help people stay well after depression
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy: United Kingdom
A website for MBCT in the United Kingdom with complementary information to this website (MBCT North America) on books, founders, research and workshops
- Oxford Cognitive Therapy Centre
Provides training in cognitive therapy, sells resource materials, hosts workshops in mindfulness-based approaches for therapists
- National Center for Whole Psychiatry
- Outward Bound International
- Ottawa Mindfulness Clinic: Canada
Provides treatment and training in mindfulness based clinical care
- Society for Clinical and Experimental Hypnosis (SCEH)
- With the accumulation of scientific evidence suggesting the beneficial effect of mindfulness on multiple health outcomes, several universities and centers conduct mindfulness research. Some of the main agencies that conduct mindfulness research include (in alphabetical order):
List of mindfulness research trials indexed by the U.S. National Institutes of Health
- Association for Mindfulness in Education
- Atlanta Mindfulness Institute
- Brown University Contemplative Studies Initiative
- California Institute of Integral Studies – San Francisco, CA & Online
- Center for Contemplative Mind in Society
- Center for Investigating Healthy Minds
- Center for Mindful Eating
- Cousins Center for PsychoNeuroimmunology
- Duke Integrative Medicine
- eMindful Evidence-Based Mind Body Wellness
- Emory University Collaborative for Contemplative Studies
- George Mason University
- The Hawn Foundation MindUp Program
- Harvard Medical School Cognitive, Affective, and Contemplative Neurosciences Lab
- The Inner Resilience Program
- Insight Center
- Institute for Mindfulness-Based Approaches
- John F. Kennedy University – Bay Area, CA (Various locations)
- Lifespan Learning Institute
- Massachusetts General Hospital Benson-Henry Institute for Mind Body Medicine
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology Medical
- Mayo Clinic
- Meditation in Action
- Mind and Life Institute
- Mind Body Awareness Project
- Mindful Living Center
- Mindful Schools
- Mindfulness Based Relapse Prevention
- Mindfulness in Schools Project
- Mindfulness Practice Center at the University of Missouri
- Mindfulness Training Institute of Washington
- Mindsight Institute
- Naropa University – Boulder, CO & Online
- Oregon Health and Science University
- Oxford Mindfulness Centre
- Palo Alto University
- Penn Program for Mindfulness
- Seattle Pacific University Lustyk Lab
- Stanford Center for Integrative Medicine
- Stanford Center on Stress and Health
- Still Quiet Place
- The Mindfulness Center
- University of California, Davis Center for Mind and Brain
- University of California, Los Angeles Mindful Awareness Research Center (MARC)
- University of California, San Diego Center for Mindfulness
- University of Miami Mind-Body Research Consortium
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Integrative Medicine
- Weill Cornell Department of Psychiatry
- Albeniz, A. & Holmes, J. (2000) Meditation: concepts, effects and uses in therapy. International Journal of Psychotherapy, 5, 49–58.
- Austin, J. (2006) Zen–Brain Reflections. MIT Press.
- Baer, R. (2003). Mindfulness training as a clinical intervention: A conceptual and empirical review. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 10:125–143.
- Barnhofer, T., Chittka, T., Nightingale, H., Visser, C., & Crane, C. (2010). State effects of two forms of meditation on prefrontal EEG asymmetry in previously depressed individuals. Mindfulness, 1, 21–27.
- Barnhofer, T, Crane, C, Hargus, E, Amarasinghe, M, Winder, R and Williams, JMG. (2009). Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy as a treatment for chronic depression: A preliminary study. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 47:366–373. [PubMed: 19249017]
- Bedard, M, Felteau, M, Gibbons, C and Klein, R. (2005). A mindfulness-based intervention to improve quality of life among individuals who sustained traumatic brain injuries: One-year follow-up. The Journal of Cognitive Rehabilitation, 23:8–13.
- Bedard, M, Felteau, M, Gibbons, C, Klein, R, Mazmanian, D, Fedyk, K, Klein, R, Richardson, J, Parkinson, W and Minthorn-Biggs, MB. (2003). Pilot evaluation of a mindfulness-based intervention to improve quality of life among individuals who sustained traumatic brain injuries. Disability and Rehabilitation: An International, Multidisciplinary Journal, 25:722–731.
- Bishop, SR. (2002). What do we really know about mindfulness-based stress reduction? Psychosomatic Medicine, 64:71–83. [PubMed: 11818588]
- Bishop, M, Lau, S, Shapiro, L, Carlson, ND, Anderson, J, Carmody, Segal ZV, Abbey, S, Speca, M, Velting, D and Devins, G. (2004). Mindfulness: A proposed operational definition. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 11:230–241.
- Boellinghaus, I., Jones, F. W., & Hutton, J. (2013). Cultivating self-care and compassion in psychological therapists in training: The experience of practicing loving-kindness meditation. Training And Education In Professional Psychology, 7(4), 267-277.
- Bogels, SM, Sijbers, GFVM and Voncken, M. (2006). Mindfulness and task concentration training for social phobia: A pilot study. Journal of Cognitive Psychotherapy, 20:33–44.
- Bondolfi, G., Jermann, F., Van der Linden, M., Gex_Fabry, M., Bizzini, L., Weber Rouget, B., Myers-Arrazola, L., Gonzalez, C., Segal, Z., Aubry, J.M. & Bertschy, G. (in press). Depression relapse prophylaxis with Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy: Replication and extension in a French speaking sample. Journal of Affective Disorders.
- Brown, D. P. & Engler, J. (1986) The stages of mindfulness meditation: a validation study. In Transformations of Consciousness (eds K. Wilber, J. Engler & D. P. Brown), pp. 161–191. Shambala Press.
- Brown, K. & Ryan, R. (2003) The benefits of being present mindfulness and its role in psychological well being. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 84, 822–848.
- Brown, K. W. & Ryan, R. M. (2004) Perils and promise in defining and measuring mindfulness. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 11, 242–248.
- Carlson, LE and Garland, SN. (2005). Impact of mindfulness based stress reduction on sleep, mood, stress, and fatigue symptoms in cancer outpatients. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 12:278–285. [PubMed: 16262547]
- Carlson, LE, Speca, M, Faris, P and Patel, KD. (2007). One year pre-post intervention follow-up of psychological, immune, endocrine and blood pressure outcomes of mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) in breast and prostate cancer patients. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 21:1038–1049.
- Carmody, J and Baer, RA. (2009). How long does a mindfulness-based stress reduction program need to be? A review of class contact hours and effect sizes for psychological distress. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 65:627–638. [PubMed: 19309694]
- Christopher, J. C., & Maris, J. (2010). Integrating mindfulness as self-care into counselling and psychotherapy training. Counselling & Psychotherapy Research, 10, 114 –125.
- Cohen, V. (2014). Common ground: The relational dimensions of mindfulness and psychotherapy. The Humanistic Psychologist, 42(3), 319-328.
- Craigie, MA, Rees, CS and Marsh, A. (2008). Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for generalized anxiety disorder: A preliminary evaluation. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 36:553–568.
- Davidson, R. J., Kabat-Zinn, J., Schumacher, J., et al (2003) Alterations in brain and immune function produced by mindfulness meditation. Psychosomatic Medicine, 65, 564–570.
- Davidson, R. J., & Lutz, A. (2008). Buddha’s brain: Neuroplasticity and meditation. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 25, 176 –174.
- Davis, D., & Hayes, J. (2011). What are the benefits of mindfulness? A practice review of psychotherapy-related research. Psychotherapy, 48, 198–208.
- Dobkin, PL. (2008). Mindfulness-based stress reduction: What processes are at work? Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, 14:8–16. [PubMed: 18243937]
- Dunn, R., Callahan, J. L., & Swift, J. K. (2013). Mindfulness as a transtheoretical clinical process. Psychotherapy, 50, 312–315.
- Dunne, J. (2011). Toward an understanding of non-dual mindfulness. Contemporary Buddhism, 12, 71– 88.
- Engler, J., & Fulton, P. R. (2012). Self and no-self in psychotherapy. In C. K. Germer & R. D. Siegel (Eds.), Wisdom and compassion in psychotherapy: Deepening mindfulness in clinical practice (pp. 176–188). New York, NY: Guilford Press.
- Evans, S, Ferrando, S, Findler, M, Stowell, C, Smart, C and Haglin, D. (2008). Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for generalized anxiety disorder. Journal of Anxiety Disorders, 22:716–721. [PubMed: 17765453]
- Farb, N. Anderson, A., Mayberg, H., Bean, J., McKeon, D. & Segal, Z.V. (in press). Mindfulness training alters neural response to sad mood provocation in a mixed clinical sample. Emotion.
- Farb, N., Segal, Z., Mayberg, H., Bean, J., McKeon, D. & Anderson, A. (2007). Mindfulness training reveals dissociable neural modes of self-reference. Social, Cognitive and Affective Neuroscience, 2, 313-322.
- Finucane, A and Mercer, S. (2006). An exploratory mixed methods study of the acceptability and effectiveness of mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for patients with active depression and anxiety in primary care. BMC Psychiatry, 6:1–14. [PubMed: 16396684]
- Garland, SN, Carlson, LE, Cook, S, Lansdell, L and Speca, M. (2007). A non-randomized comparison of mindfulness-based stress reduction and healing arts programs for facilitating post-traumatic growth and spirituality in cancer outpatients. Supportive Care in Cancer, 15:949–961. [PubMed: 17611782]
- Germer, C. K. (2005) What is mindfulness? In Mindfulness and Psychotherapy (eds C. K. Germer, R. D. Siegel & P. R. Fulton), pp. 1–27. Guilford Press.
- Goleman, D. (1988) The Meditative Mind. Putnam.
- Grossman, P, Niemann, L, Schmid, S and Walach, H. (2004). Mindfulness-based stress reduction and health benefits: A meta-analysis. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 57:35–43. [PubMed: 15256293]
- Grossman, P, Tiefenthaler-Gilmer, U, Raysz, A and Kesper, U. (2007). Mindfulness training as an intervention for fibromyalgia: Evidence of post-intervention and 3-year follow up benefits in well-being. Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, 76:226–233. [PubMed: 17570961]
- Hanh, T. N. (1991) The Miracle of Mindfulness. Rider.
- Harrington, A. (2008). The cure within: A history of mind-body medicine. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- Harrington, A., & Dunne, J. D. (2015). When mindfulness is therapy: Ethical qualms, historical perspectives. American Psychologist, 70(7), 621-631.
- Hayes, SC, Luoma, JB, Bond, FW, Masuda, A and Lillis, J. (2006). Acceptance and commitment therapy: Model, processes and outcomes. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 44:1–25. [PubMed: 16300724]
- Hayes, SC. (2004). Acceptance and commitment therapy, relational frame theory, and the third wave of behavior therapy. Behavior Therapy, 35:639–665.
- Hickey, W. S. (2010). Meditation as medicine: A critique. Cross Currents, 60, 168 –184.
- Hofmann, SG and Asmundson, GJ. (2008). Acceptance and mindfulness-based therapy: New wave or old hat? Clinical Psychology Review, 28:1–16. [PubMed: 17904260]
- Kabat-Zinn, J. (1982). An outpatient program in behavioral medicine for chronic pain patients based on the practice of mindfulness meditation: Theoretical considerations and preliminary results. General Hospital Psychiatry, 4:33–47. [PubMed: 7042457]
- Kabat-Zinn, J. (1994). Wherever you go there you are. New York: Hyperion.
- Kabat-Zinn, J. (1994) Mindfulness Meditation for Everyday Life. Piatkus Books.
- Kabat-Zinn, J. (2003). Mindfulness-based interventions in context: Past, present, and future. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 10:144–156.
- Kabat-Zinn, J, Massion, AO, Kristeller, J and Peterson, LG. (1992). Effectiveness of a meditation-based stress reduction program in the treatment of anxiety disorders. American Journal of Psychiatry, 149:936–943. [PubMed: 1609875]
- Kenny, MA and Williams, JMG. (2007). Treatment-resistant depressed patients show a good response to Mindfulness-based Cognitive Therapy. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 7;45:617–625. [PubMed: 16797486]
- Kieviet-Stijnen, A, Visser, A, Garssen, B and Hudig, W. (2008). Mindfulness-based stress reduction training for oncology patients: Patients’ appraisal and changes in well-being. Patient Education and Counseling, 72:436–442. [PubMed: 18657376]
- Kim, YW, Lee, SH, Choi, TK, Suh, SY, Kim, B, Kim, CM, Cho, SJ, Kim, MJ, Yook, K, Ryu, M, Song, SK and Yook, KH. (2009). Effectiveness of mindfulness-based cognitive therapy as an adjuvant to pharmacotherapy in patients with panic disorder or generalized anxiety disorder. Depression and Anxiety, 26:601–606. [PubMed: 19242985]
- Kingston, T, Dooley, B, Bates, A, Lawlor, E and Malone, K. (2007). Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for residual depressive symptoms. Psychology and Psychotherapy: Theory, Research and Practice, 80:193–203.
- Koszycki, D, Benger, M, Shlik, J and Bradwejn, J. (2007). Randomized trial of a meditation-based stress reduction program and cognitive behavior therapy in generalized social anxiety disorder. Behaviour Research and Therapy, 45:2518–2526. [PubMed: 17572382]
- Kreitzer, MJ, Gross, CR, Ye, X, Russas, V and Treesak, C. (2005). Longitudinal impact of mindfulness meditation on illness burden in solid-organ transplant recipients. Progress in Transplantation, 15:166–172. [PubMed: 16013466]
- Kuyken W, Byford S, Taylor RS, Watkins E, Holden E, White K, Barrett B, Byng R, Evans A, Mullan E, Teasdale JD. (2008). Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy to prevent relapse in recurrent depression. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 76, 966-78.
- Lau, M, Bishop, S., Segal, Z.V., Buis, T., Anderson, N. & Carlson, L. Shapiro, S., Carmody, J., Abbey, S. & Devins, J. (2006). The Toronto Mindfulness Scale: Development and validation. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 62, 1445-1467.
- Ledesma, D and Kumano, H. (2008). Mindfulness-based stress reduction and cancer: A meta-analysis. Psycho-Oncology, 18:571–579. [PubMed: 19023879]
- Lee, SH, Ahn, SC, Lee, YJ, Choi, TK, Yook, KH and Suh, SY. (2007). Effectiveness of a meditation-based stress management program as an adjunct to pharmacotherapy in patients with anxiety disorder. Journal of Psychosomatic Research, 62:189–95. [PubMed: 17270577]
- Lengacher, CA, Johnson-Mallard, V, Post-White, J, Moscoso, MS, Jacobsen, PB, Klein, TW, Widen, RH, Fitzgerald, SG, Shelton, MM, Barta, M, Goodman, M, Cox, CE and Kip, KE. (in press). Randomized controlled trial of mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) for survivors of breast cancer. Psycho-Oncology.
- Lin, P., & Seiden, H. M. (2015). Mindfulness and psychoanalytic psychotherapy: A clinical convergence. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 32(2), 321-333.
- Lush, E, Salmon, P, Floyd, A, Studts, JL, Weissbecker, I and Sephton, SE. (2009). Mindfulness meditation for symptom reduction in fibromyalgia: Psychophysiological correlates. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings, 16:200–207. [PubMed: 19277851]
- Ma, S.H., & Teasdale, J.D. (2004). Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for depression: Replication and exploration of differential relapse prevention effects. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 72, 31-40.
- Mace, C. (2007). Mindfulness in psychotherapy: an introduction. Adv. Psychiatr. Treat. 13: 147-154. http://apt.rcpsych.org/cgi/reprint/13/2/147.pdf Retrieved 7-1-11.
- Mace, C. (2006a) Long-term impacts of mindfulness practice on wellbeing: new findings from qualitative research. In Dimensions of Well-being. Research and Intervention (ed. A. Delle Fave), pp. 455–469. Franco Angeli.
- Mace, C. (2006b) Mindfulness and technologies of healing: lessons from Western practice. Proceedings of Second Kyoto Conference on Buddhism and Psychotherapy (eds O. Ancho, M. Miller & D. Mathers), pp. 151–161. Hanazono University.
- Mace, C. (2007) Mindfulness and Mental Health. Brunner-Routledge.
- Mackenzie, MJ, Carlson, LE and Speca, M. (2005). Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) in oncology: Rationale and review. Evidence-based Integrative Medicine, 2:139–145.
- Matchim, Y and Armer, JM. (2007). Measuring the psychological impact of mindfulness meditation on health among patients with cancer: A literature review. Oncology Nursing Forum, 34:1059–1066. [PubMed: 17878133]
- McCollum, E. E., & Gehart, D. R. (2010). Using mindfulness meditation to teach beginning therapists therapeutic presence: A qualitative study. Journal of Marital and Family Therapy, 36, 347–360.
- Melbourne Academic Mindfulness Interest Group. (2006). Mindfulness-based psychotherapies: A review of conceptual foundations, empirical evidence and practical considerations. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 40:285–294. [PubMed: 16620310]
- Meyers, L. (2007). Serenity Now. http://www.apa.org/monitor/dec07/serenity.aspx Retrieved 3-15-12.
- Miklowitz, D. Alatiq, Y., Goodwin, G., Geddes, J., Dimidjian, S., Hauser, M., & Williams, M (2009). A pilot study of Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy for bipolar disorder. Internation Journal of Cognitive Therapy, 4, 373-382.
- Moustgaard, A. (2005). Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) for stroke survivors: An application of a novel intervention. Unpublished dissertation
- Murray, B. (2002). Finding the Peace within Us. http://www.apa.org/monitor/julaug02/peace.aspx Retrieved 3-15-12.
- Ott, MJ, Norris, RL and Bauer-Wu, SM. (2006). Mindfulness meditation for oncology patients: A discussion and critical review. Integrative Cancer Therapies, 5:98–108. [PubMed: 16685074]
- Powers, MB, Zum, Vörde Sive, Vörding, MB and Emmelkamp. PM. (2009). Acceptance and commitment therapy: A meta-analytic review. Psychotherapy and Psychosomatics, 78:73–80. [PubMed: 19142046]
- Pradhan, EK, Baumgarten, M, Langenberg, P, Handwerger, B, Gilpin, AK, Magyari, T, Hochberg, MC and Berman, BM. (2007). Effect of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in rheumatoid arthritis patients. Arthritis and Rheumatism, 57:1134–42. [PubMed: 17907231]
- Praissman, S. (2008). Mindfulness-based stress reduction: A literature review and clinicians’ guide. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 20:212–216. [PubMed: 18387018]
- Purser, R. E. (2015). Clearing the muddled path of traditional and contemporary mindfulness: A response to Monteiro, Musten, and Compson. Mindfulness, 6, 23– 45.
- Ramel, W, Goldin, PR, Carmona, PE and McQuaid, JR. (2004). The effects of mindfulness meditation on cognitive processes and affect in patients with past depression. Cognitive Therapy and Research, 28:433–455.
- Ree, MJ and Craigie, MA. (2007). Outcomes following mindfulness-based cognitive therapy in a heterogeneous sample of adult outpatients. Behaviour Change, 24:70–86.
- Reibel, DK, Greeson, JM, Brainard, GC and Rosenzweig, S. (2001). Mindfulness-based stress reduction and health-related quality of life in a heterogeneous patient population. General Hospital Psychiatry, 23:183–192. [PubMed: 11543844]
- Rosenzweig, S, Greeson, JM, Reibel, DK, Green, JS, Jasser, SA and Beasley, D. (in press). Mindfulness-based stress reduction for chronic pain conditions: Variation in treatment outcomes and role of home meditation practice. Journal of Psychosomatic Research.
- Rosenzweig, S, Reibel, DK, Greeson, JM, Edman, JS, Jasser, SA, McMearty, KD and Goldstein, BJ. (2007). Mindfulness-based stress reduction is associated with improved glycemic control in type 2 diabetes mellitus: A pilot study. Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, 13(5):36–38. [PubMed: 17900040]
- Sagula, D and Rice, KG. (2004). The effectiveness of mindfulness training on the grieving process and emotional well-being of chronic pain patients. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings, 11:333–342.
- Salmon, P, Lush, E, Jablonski, M and Sephton, SE. (2009). Yoga and mindfulness: Clinical aspects of an ancient mind/body practice. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 16:59–72.
- Schulte, CF. (2007). Effects of mindfulness-based cognitive therapy on the psychological and behavioral symptoms of hypothyroidism. Unpublished dissertation
- Segal, ZV, Williams, JMG and Teasdale, JD. (2002). Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy for Depression: A New Approach to Preventing Relapse. New York: Guilford Press.
- Sephton, SE, Salmon, P, Weissbecker, I, Ulmer, C, Floyd, A, Hoover, K and Studts, JL. (2007). Mindfulness meditation alleviates depressive symptoms in women with fibromyalgia: Results of a randomized clinical trial. Arthritis Rheumatoid, 57:77–85.
- Siegel, D. (2010). The mindful therapist: A clinician’s guide to mindsight and neural integration. New York, NY: Norton.
- Smith, JE, Richardson, J, Hoffman, C and Pilkington, K. (2005). Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction as supportive therapy in cancer care: Systematic review. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 52:315–327. [PubMed: 16194185]
- Speca, M, Carlson, LE, Goodey, E and Angen, M. (2000). A randomized wait-list controlled clinical trial: The effect of a mindfulness meditation-based stress reduction program on mood and symptoms of stress in cancer outpatients. Psychosomatic Medicine, 62:613–622. [PubMed: 11020090]
- Surawy, C, Roberts, J and Silver, A. (2005). The effect of mindfulness training on mood and measures of fatigue, activity, and quality of life in patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome on a hospital waiting list: A series of exploratory studies. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 33:103–109.
- Tacon, AM, Caldera, YM and Ronaghan, C. (2004). Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction in women with breast cancer. Families, Systems, & Health, 22:193–203.
- Tacon, AM, Caldera, YM and Ronaghan, C. (2005). Mindfulness, Psychosocial Factors, and Breast Cancer. Journal of Cancer Pain and Symptom Palliation, 1:45–53.
- Tacon, A, McComb, JJ, Randolph, P and Caldera, Y. (2003). Mindfulness meditation, anxiety reduction, and heart disease: A pilot study. Family Community Health, 26:25–33. [PubMed: 12802125]
- Teasdale, J.D., Segal, Z.V., Williams, J.M.G., Ridgeway, V., Soulsby, J., & Lau, M. (2000). Prevention of relapse/recurrence in major depression by mindfulness-based cognitive therapy. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 68, 615-623.
- Teixeira, ME. (2008). Meditation as an intervention for chronic pain: An integrative review. Holistic Nurse Practitioner, 22:225–234.
- Toneatto, T and Nguyen, L. (2007). Does mindfulness meditation improve anxiety and mood symptoms? A review of the controlled research. La Revue Canadienne de Psychiatrie, 52:260–266.
- Winbush, NY, Gross, CR and Kreitzer, MJ. (2007). The effects of mindfulness-based stress reduction on sleep disturbance: A systematic review. Explore: The Journal of Science and Healing, 3:585–591.
- Zylowska, L, Ackerman, DL, Yang, MH, Futrell, JL, Horton, NL, Hale, TS, Pataki, C and Smalley, SL. (2008). Mindfulness meditation training in adults and adolescents with ADHD: A feasibility study. Journal of Attention Disorders, 11:737–746. [PubMed: 18025249]