An Online Course:
Holistic and Nutritional Approaches to Treating Psychological Disorders
- Amen Clinics
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians. Learn more about naturopathy and find a certified naturopathic physician.
- Encyclopedia of Mental Disorders
- Robert Hedaya’s Facebook page, The National Center for Whole Psychiatry is open access
- Family Doctor.org offers consumer-oriented information on nutrition and mental health
- Food for the Brain
- Integrative Medicine. The website of psychiatrist James Greenblatt contains information on integrative medicine and a changing list of free webinars.
- Integrative Medicine for Mental Health features articles and a registry of integrative physicians
- The Mental Health Foundation
- The Mind-Body Clinic. The website for Stephen Ducat has resources and fact sheets for consumers and clinicians.
- The Natural Gourmet Institute for Health and Culinary Arts
- www.HelpGuide.org in collaboration with Harvard Health Publications, Harvard Medical School
- Nutrition for Mental Health
- Jonathan Prousky, ND, MSc. Prousky’s website contains an extensive list of publications outlining his approach to a list of specific disorders, including anorexia, anxiety, depression, autism, migraines, and many others, as well as a list of organizations to support patients with various disabilities.
- TrueHope: Leaders in Brain Health
Top of Page
Journals & Articles
General – Mental Health and Nutrition
Top of Page
Resources for Specific Conditions
Chronic Fatigue, Adrenal Fatigue
Top of Page
Pediatric Mood Disorders
- Shannon, Scott (2009). Integrative Approaches to Pediatric Mood Disorders, Alternative Therapies in Health & Medicine 15 (5)
Critique and Caution in the Use of Supplements in the Treatment of Mental Health Conditions
- Amen, D. G. (2013). Unleash the power of the female brain: Supercharging yours for better health, energy, mood, focus, and sex. New York, NY: Harmony Press.
- Angeletti, M. (2016). Opposites attract: Holistic emotional regulation using dance/movement therapy and the doshas in Ayurveda. Body, Movement and Dance in Psychotherapy, 11(1), 31-45. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/17432979.2015.1106977
- Arczynski, A. V., Morrow, S. L., & Englar-Carlson, M. (2016). Cultivating a spiritually integrative psychotherapy approach with youth: An exploratory qualitative study. Spirituality in Clinical Practice, 3(3), 196-207. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/scp0000086
- Baker, S. M., Bennett, P., Bland, J. S., Galland, L., Hedaya, R. J., Houston, M., & Vasquez, A. (2010). Textbook of functional medicine. Gig Harbor, WA: The Institute for Functional Medicine.
- Barcelona de Mendoza, V., Harville, E., Savage, J., & Giarratano, G. (2016). Association of complementary and alternative therapies with mental health outcomes in pregnant women living in a postdisaster recovery environment. Journal of Holistic Nursing, 34(3), 259-270. https://doi.org/10.1177/0898010115609250
- Berk, M., Williams, L. J., Jacka, F. N., O’Neil, A., Pasco, J. A., Moylan, S., . . . Maes, M. (2013). So depression is an inflammatory disease, but where does the inflammation come from? BMC Medicine, 11:200.
- Bested, A. C., Logan, A. C., & Selhub, E. M. (2013). In- testinal microbiota, probiotics and mental health: From Metchniko to modern advances: Part II—contemporary contextual research. Gut Pathogens, 5:3.
- Boccone, P. J. (2016). Embracing the whole self: Using the empty chair technique to process internalized biphobia during bisexual identity enactment. Journal of LGBT Issues in Counseling, 10(3), 150-158. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/15538605.2016.1199291
- Burke, M. P., Martini, L. H., Çayır, E., Hartline-Grafton, H. L., & Meade, R. L. (2016). Severity of household food insecurity is positively associated with mental disorders among children and adolescents in the United States. The Journal of Nutrition, 146(10), 2019-2026.
- Casement, M. D., & Swanson, L. M. (2012). A meta-analysis of imagery rehearsal for post-trauma nightmares: Effects on nightmare frequency, sleep quality, and posttraumatic stress. Clinical Psychology Review, 32, 566 –574.
- Chen, S. X., Lam, B. P., Wu, W. H., Ng, J. K., Buchtel, E. E., Guan, Y., & Deng, H. (2016). Do people’s world views matter? The why and how. Journal of Personality And Social Psychology, 110(5), 743-765.
- Cryan, J. F. (2016). Stress and the microbiota– gut–brain axis: An evolving concept in psychia- try. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 61, 201–203.
- Cryan, J. F., & Dinan, T. G. (2012). Mind-altering micro- organisms: The impact of the gut microbiota on brain and behaviour. Nature Reviews Neuroscience, 13, 701– 712.
- Dawson, S. L., Dash, S. R., & Jacka, F. N. (2016). Chapter Fifteen-The importance of diet and gut health to the treatment and prevention of mental disorders. International Review of Neurobiology, 131, 325-346. https://doi.org/10.1016/bs.irn.2016.08.009
- Dinan, T. G., & Cryan, J. F. (2012). Regulation of the stress response by the gut microbiota: Implications for psychoneuroendocrinology. Psychoneuroen- docrinology, 37, 1369–1378.
- Dinan, T. G., & Cryan, J. F. (2013). Melancholic microbes: A link between gut microbiota and depression? Neurogastroenterology and Motility, 25, 713–719.
- Dinan, T. G., Stanton, C., & Cryan, J. F. (2013). Psychobiotics: A novel class of psychotropic. Biological Psychiatry, 74, 720–726
- Evrensel, A., & Ceylan, M. E. (2015). The gut–brain axis: The missing link in depression. Clinical Psychopharmacology and Neuroscience, 13, 239–244.
- Feinstein, D. (2008). Energy psychology in disaster relief. Traumatology, 14(1), 127-139. Foster, J. A., & McVey Neufeld, K. A. (2013). Gut–brain axis: How the microbiome in uences anxiety and depression. Trends in Neurosciences, 36, 305–312.
- Galler, J. R., Koethe, J. R., & Yolken, R. H. (2017). Neurodevelopment: The impact of nutrition and inflammation during adolescence in low-resource settings. Pediatrics, 139, S72-S84. Retrieved from http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/139/Supplement_1/S72?utm_source= TrendMD&utm_medium=TrendMD&utm_campaign=Pediatrics_TrendMD_0
- Galovski, T. E., Harik, J. M., Blain, L. M., Elwood, L., Gloth, C., & Fletcher, T. D. (2016). Augmenting cognitive processing therapy to improve sleep impairment in PTSD: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 84(2), 167-177.
- Goodman, F. R., Kashdan, T. B., Mallard, T. T., & Schumann, M. (2014). A brief mindfulness and yoga intervention with an entire NCAA Division I athletic team: An initial investigation. Psychology of Consciousness: Theory, Research, And Practice, 1(4), Morrissey, M. B., & Whitehouse, P. (2016).
- Greenblatt, J. (2010). Answers to anorexia: A breakthrough nutritional treatment that is saving lives. Forest Lake, MN: Sunrise River Press
- Greenblatt, J. (2011). The breakthrough depression solution: A personalized nine-step method for beating the physical causes of your depression. Forest Lake, MN: Sunrise River Press
- Greenblatt, J. (2014). Answers to appetite control: New hope for binge eating and weight management. CreateSpace Publishing Platform.
- Guyol, G. (2009). Healing depression & bipolar disorder without drugs: Inspiring stories of restoring mental health through natural therapies. New York, NY: Walker & Company.
- Hamm, J. A., & Leonhardt, B. L. (2016). The role of interpersonal connection, personal narrative, and metacognition in integrative psychotherapy for schizophrenia: A case report. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 72(2), 132-141. doi:10.1002/jclp.22247
- Hedaya, R. (2001). The antidepressant survival guide: The clinically proven program to enhance the benefits and beat the side effects of your medication. New York, NY: Harmony Press
- Hoffer, A., & Saul, A. W. (2009). The vitamin cure for alcoholism: Orthomolecular treatment of addictions. Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications.
- Hosseinzadeh, M., Vafa, M., Esmaillzadeh, A., Feizi, A., Majdzadeh, R., Afshar, H., & Adibi, P. (2016). Empirically derived dietary patterns in relation to psychological disorders. Public Health Nutrition, 19(02), 204-217. https://doi.org/10.1017/S136898001500172X
- Hsiao, F. H., Jow, G. M., Kuo, W. H., Yang, P. S., Lam, H. B., Chang, K. J., & Liu, Y. F. (2016). The long-term effects of mindfulness added to family resilience-oriented couples support group on psychological well-being and cortisol responses in breast cancer survivors and their partners. Mindfulness, 7(6), 1365-1376. doi:10.1007/s12671-016-0578-9
- Ilardi, S. (2010). The depression cure: The six-step programme to beat depression without drugs. Philadelphia, PA: Da Cappo Press.
- Jackson, T. (2016). What we know and how we know it: New phenomenology and aesthetics as a re-invigoration of perception in Gestalt psychotherapy. Gestalt Journal of Australia and New Zealand, 13(1), 43-46. Retrieved from http://search.informit.com.au/documentSummary;dn=569701540445062;res=IELNZC
- Khenti, A., Fréel, S., Trainor, R., Mohamoud, S., Diaz, P., Suh, E., & Sapag, J. C. (2016). Developing a holistic policy and intervention framework for global mental health. Health Policy and Planning, 31(1), 37-45. https://doi.org/10.1093/heapol/czv016
- Kukla, M., Whitesel, F., & Lysaker, P. H. (2016). An integrative psychotherapy approach to foster community engagement and rehabilitation in schizophrenia: A case study illustration. Journal of clinical psychology, 72(2), 152-163. DOI: 10.1002/jclp.22248
- Lake, J. (2007) . Integrative mental health care: From theory to practice, part 1. Alternative Therapies in Health & Medicine, 13(6), 50-56. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/openview/9364d180b85f9cdc70c829102ba43b67/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=32528
- Lake, J. (2008). Integrative mental health care: from theory to practice, Part 2. Alternative therapies in health and medicine, 14(1), 36-42. Retrieved from http://search.proquest.com/openview/29dd6ac13563426b9fc02b6b1915c0e5/1?pq-origsite=gscholar&cbl=32528
- Lysaker, P. H., & Roe, D. (2016). Integrative psychotherapy for schizophrenia: its potential for a central role in recovery oriented treatment. Journal of clinical psychology, 72(2), 117-122. doi:10.1002/jclp.22246
- Marohn, S. (2011). The natural medicine guide to bipolar disorder. Charlottesville, VA: Hampton Roads Publishing.
- McLeod, M. N. (2009). Lifting your depression: How a psychiatrist discovered chromium’s role in the treatment of depression. Laguna Beach, CA: Basic Health Publications, Inc.Mukwege
- , D., & Berg, M. (2016). A holistic, person-centered care model for victims of sexual violence in Democratic Republic of Congo: The Panzi hospital one-stop center model of care. PLoS medicine, 13(10), e1002156. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.1002156
- Prousky, J. (2013). Textbook of integrative clinical nutrition. Toronto, Ontario: Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine Press.
- Saneei, P., Esmaillzadeh, A., Keshteli, A. H., Roohafza, H. R., Afshar, H., Feizi, A., & Adibi, P. (2016). Combined healthy lifestyle is inversely associated with psychological disorders among adults. PloS one, 11(1), e0146888. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0146888
- Stickel, A., Rohdemann, M., Landes, T., Engel, K., Banas, R., Heinz, A., & Müller, C. A. (2016). Changes in nutrition-related behaviors in alcohol-dependent patients after outpatient detoxification: The role of chocolate. Substance Use & Misuse, 51(5), 545-552. http://dx.doi.org/10.3109/10826084.2015.1117107
- Zalaquett, C. P., Chatters, S. J., & Ivey, A. E. (2013). Psychotherapy integration: Using a diversity-sensitive developmental model in the initial interview. Journal of Contemporary Psychotherapy, 43(1), 53-62. doi:10.1007/s10879-012-9224-6
Disclaimer: The content of this course and this site is for informational purposes only. Nothing contained in this course or this site is or should be considered or used as a substitute for professional medical or mental health advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Consult with a licensed, quality medical professional about diagnosis, treatment, and health care advice before a change or proposed change in a treatment plan. The course encourages clinicians and patients to clearly differentiate between supplements and FDA approved drugs.
Top of Page