Presurgical Bariatric Evaluation
Resources & References
- Bariatric Times: Extensive resources and online evaluations
- Consensus Conference Statement: Bariatric surgery for morbid obesity: Health implications for patients, health professionals, and third-party payers
- A simple review of Gastric Bypass Surgery
- Live demonstrations of bariatric surgeries:
Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass and Sleeve Gastrectomy
Minimally Invasive Weight-Loss Surgery
- Statistics on the general subject of overweight and obesity
- A documentation of the surgical options
- LABS, Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery, is a multisite investigation funded by the NIH. This long-term, prospective study is for the purpose of identifying preoperative psychiatric, behavioral, cognitive and environmental factors that are shown to be related to treatment failure, serious postoperative complications or death.
- Bariatric Surgical Evaluation Tests and Assessment Tools:
Bariatric Pre-Surgical Psychological Assessment Tests and Batteries
Standards for Pre-Operative Bariatric Surgery Psychological Evaluations VA Bariatric Surgery Workgroup
- Test reviews
- This site and the ones below are excellent sources of reviews. The Cochrane Library consists of seven databases and is used by people interested in evidence-based health care. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews and is the primary output of the Cochrane Collaboration.
- Online computer-patient interview software produces patient specific, professionally written, grammatically correct, chart ready bariatric pre-surgical psychosocial assessments. Patients are able to access this software 24/7 from any Internet access. There is no charge for the service unless the patient has a co-pay.
- Bootzin, R; and McKnight, P; Eds. (2006). Strengthening Research Methodology. Psychological Measurement and Evaluation. Washington, DC.: American Psychological Association.
- Buchwald, H. (2005). Consensus Conference Statement: Bariatric surgery for morbid obesity: health implications for patients, health professionals, and third-party payers. J. Am Coll Surg 200: 593-604.
- Engel, S.G., Wonderlich, S.A. & Crosby, RD. (2005). Ecological Momentary Assessment as cited in Michell, J.E. & Peterson, C.B (Eds). Assessment of Eating Disorders. New York: The Guilford Press.
- Ley RE, Hamady M, Lozupone C, Turnbaugh PJ, Ramey RR, Bircher JS, Schlegel ML, Tucker TA, Schrenzel MD, Knight R, Gordon JI (2008). Evolution of mammals and their gut microbes. Science, Jun 20;320(5883):1647-51. doi: 10.1126/science.1155725
- Ley RE, Turnbaugh PJ, Klein S, Gordon JI. (2006). Microbial ecology: human gut microbes associated with obesity. Nature, 444(7122):1002-1023. DOI: 10.1038/4441022a
- McAllister E.J., Dhurandhar, N.V., Keith, S.W., Aronne, L.J., Barger, J., Baskin, M., Benca, R.M., Biggio, J., Boggiano, M.M., Eisenmann, J.C., Elobeid, M., Fontaine, K.R., Gluckman, P., Hanlon, E.C., Katzmarzyk, P., Pietrobelli, A., Redden, D.T., Ruden, D.M., Wang, C., Waterland, R.A., Wright, S.M. & Allison, D.B. (2009): Ten Putative Contributors to the Obesity Epidemic, Critical Review in Food Science and Nutrition, 49:10, 868-913.
- Oria, H; and Moorehead, M. (1998). Bariatric Anaysis and Reporting Outcome System (BAROS). Obesity Surgery, 8, 487-499.
- Stroebe, W. (2008). Dieting, Overweight, and Obesity. Self-Regulation in a Food-Rich Environment. Washington, DC.: American Psychological Association.
- Turnbaugh PJ, Hamady M. Yatsunenko T, Cantarel BL, Duncan A, Ley RE, Sogin MI, Jones WJ, Roe BA, Affourtit JP, Egholm M, Henrissat B, Heath AC, Knight R, Gordon JI. (2009). A core gut microbiome in obese and lean twins. Nature 457, 480-484 (22 January 2009) | doi:10.1038/nature07540
- Turnbaugh PJ, Ley RE, Hamady M, Fraser-Liggett CM, Knight R, Gordon JI. (2007). The Human microbiome project. Nature, Oct 18;449(7164):804-10.