Stress Management Techniques
Resources & References
An Online Course:
Stress Management Techniques:An Overview of What Works
Table Of Contents
- APA Help Center – The different kinds of stress
- APA Help Center – How does stress affect us
- APA Help Center – Managing traumatic stress
- International Journal of Stress Management
- International Society for Traumatic Stress Studies
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Stress and Trauma
- Stress Management Links
- Stress Management Resources
- Stress Reduction Basics
- Stress at Work-National Institute for Safety and Health
- Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback
- Academy for Guided Imagery
- American Holistic Health Association
- American Society of Clinical Hypnosis
- Innersource Institute
- Milton Erickson Foundation
- National Center for Alternative and Complementary Medicine
- Psychotherapists and their Families: The Effect of Clinical Practice on Individual and Family Dynamics & How to Prevent Therapists’ Burnout and Impairment
- Burnout and the Ethics of Self-Care for Therapists
- Dr. Christina Maslach
- The Maslach Burnout Inventory (MBI)
- Burnout test
- A Phenomenological Study of Vicarious Traumatization Amongst Psychologists and Professional Counselors Working in the Field of Sexual Abuse/Assault
- Taking Care Of The Caretaker: How To Avoid Psychotherapists’ Burnout
- Essentials of Private Practice by Holly Hunt
- Extensive bibliography on psychotherapists burnout and its prevention
- Antoni, M.H., Lechner, S., Diaz, A., Vargas, S., Holley, H., Phillips, K… Blomberg, B. (2009). Cognitive behavioral stress management effects on psychosocial and physiological adaptation in women undergoing treatment for breast cancer. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 23(5): 580-591.
- Boss, P., Bryant, C.M., & Mancini, J. (2017). Family Stress Management: A contextual approach (3rd ed.). Los Angeles, CA: Sage Publications, Inc.
- Brougham, R.R., Zail, C.M., Mendoza, C.M., & Miller, J.R. (2009). Stress, sex differences, and coping strategies among college students. Current Psychology, 28(2): 85-97.
- Chiesa, A. & Serretti, A. (2009). Mindfulness based stress reduction for stress management in healthy people: A review and meta-analysis. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine, 15(5): 593-600.
- Houghton, J.D., Wu, J., Godwin, J.L., Neck, C.P., & Manz, C.C. (2011) Effective stress management: A model of emotional intelligence, self-leadership, and student stress coping. Journal of Management Education 36(2): 220-238.
- Eisen, K.P., Allen, G.J., Bollash, M., & Pescatello, L.S. (2008). Stress management in the workplace: A comparison of a computer-based and an in-person stress management intervention. Computers in Human Behavior, 24(2): 486-496.
- Flinchbaugh, C.L., Whitney, E., Moore, G., Chang, Y.K., & May, D.R. (2011). Student well-being interventions: The effects of stress management techniques and gratitude journaling in the management education classroom. Journal of Management Education 36(2): 191-219.
- Gardiner, P., Sadikova, E., Filippelli, A. C., Mitchell, S., White, L. F., Saper, R., … & Fredman, L. (2015). Stress Management and Relaxation Techniques use among underserved inpatients in an inner city hospital. Complementary therapies in medicine, 23(3), 405-412.
- Lehrer, P.M., Woolfolk, R.L., & Sime, W.E. (Eds.) (2007). Principles and practice of stress management. New York, NY: The Guilford Press.
- Miedziun, P., & Czabała, J. C. (2015). Stress management techniques. Archives of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, 4, 23-30.
- Pierceall, E. A., & Keim, M. C. (2007). Stress and coping strategies among community college students. Community College Journal of Research and Practice, 31(9), 703–712.
- Regehr, C., Glancy, D., & Pitts, A. (2013). Interventions to reduce stress in university students: A review and meta-analysis. Journal of Affective Disorders 148(1): 1-11.
- Rose, R.D., Buckey, J.C., Tomislav, D.Z., Motivala, S.J., Glenn, D.E., Cartreine, J.A., & Craske, M.G. (2013). A randomized controlled trial of a self-guided, multimedia stress management and resilience training program. Behavior Research and Therapy 51(2): 106-112.
- Rumbold, J. L., Fletcher, D., & Daniels, K. (2012). A systematic review of stress management interventions with sport performers. Sport, Exercise, and Performance Psychology, 1(3), 173-193.
- Sawatzky, R.G., Ratner, P.A., Richardson, C.G., Washburn, C. Sudmant, W., & Mirwaldt, P. (2012). Stress and depression in students: The mediating role of stress management self-efficacy. Nursing Resaerch 61(1): 13-21.
- Verma, R., Balhara, Y.P.S., & Gupta, C.S. (2011). Gender differences in stress response: Role of developmental and biological determinants. Industrial Psychiatry Journal, 20(1): 4-10.
- Von Dawans, B., Fischbacher, U., Kirschbaum, C., Fehr, E., and Heinrichs, M. (2012). The social dimension of stress reactivity: Acute stress increases prosocial behavior in humans. Psychological Science, 23(6): 651-660.