Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT):
Treatment for Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)
Resources & References
An Online Course:
Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT)
Table Of Contents
- Behavioral Tech – Linehan Institute. DBT basics, DBT literature, other links, behavior therapy sites, and mindfulness sites. This site also maintains a list of DBT teams and programs around the country.
- DBT in Real Life: Perspectives from DBT Experts – DBT experts share teaching, insights, and research information about applying DBT in different settings.
- National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) – This information page is designed for the public and provides information about Borderline Personality Disorder symptoms and treatment (including the use of DBT). The general public site for the National Institute of Mental Health can be found here.
- The Borderline Personality Disorder Resource Center – The website for a non-profit informational center serving individuals and families affected by BPD.
- BPD Central – Resources for those involved with individuals with BPD, including a link to a list of therapists and programs.
- National Education Alliance for Borderline Personality Disorder: This website is in place to raise public awareness and promote research on borderline personality disorder as well as enhance the quality of life of those affected by this mental illness.
- TARA – The Treatment and Research Advancements Association for Personality Disorder, TARA, an organization whose mission is to foster education and research in the field of personality disorder, specifically but not exclusively Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD); to support research into the causes, psychobiology and treatment of personality disorders; to support and I encourage educational programs and endeavors targeting mental health professionals, consumers of mental health services, families and/or the community at large in order to reduce stigma and increase awareness of personality disorder, to disseminate available information on etiology and treatment and to lawfully advocate for accomplishments of these goals.
Great Ideas in Personality includes brief criteria for several personality disorders and discusses the different groups or clusters of personality disorders.
Terrific list of scholarly articles on DBT available from the University of Washington
Asmand, P., Mami, S., and Valizadeh, R. (2015). The effectiveness of dialectical behavior therapy and rational emotive behavior therapy in irrational believes treatment among young male prisoners who have antisocial personality disorder in Ilam Prison. Int J Health Syst Disaster Manage [serial online], Vol 3:68-73. Retrieved from http://www.ijhsdm.org/text.asp?2015/3/2/68/151305
Blair, M. et. al (2015). Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Is an Effective Treatment for Depression and Anxiety in Multiple Sclerosis. Neurology, Vol. 86(16), Supplement P2.171.
Bloom, J.M., Woodward, E.N., Susmaras, T. and Pantalone, D. W. (2012). Use of Dialectical Behavior Therapy in Inpatient Treatment of Borderline Personality Disorder: A Systematic Review. Psychiatric Services, 63:9, 881-888.
Burckhardt, R., Manicavasagar, V., Shaw, F., Fogarty, A., Batterham, P.J., Dobinson, K. and Karpin, I. (2017). Preventing mental health symptoms in adolescents using dialectical behaviour therapy skills group: a feasibility study. International Journal of Adolescence and Youth. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/02673843.2017.1292927
Callahan, C. (2008). Dialectical Behavior Therapy: Children and Adolescents. Eau Claire, WI: PESI.
Chapman, A. L. (2006). Dialectical Behavior Therapy: Current Indications and Unique Elements. Psychiatry (Edgmont), 3(9), 62–68.
Chapman, A. and Gratz, K. (2011). The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Anxiety: Breaking Free from Worry, Panic, PTSD, and Other Anxiety Symptoms. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Press.
Chapman, A. and Gratz, K. (2015). The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Workbook for Anger: Using DBT Mindfulness and Emotion Regulation Skills to Manage Anger. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Press.
Chenoweth, J.R. (2014). Understanding dialectical behavior therapy through the voice of adolescent clients in a community mental health center. Dissertations. Paper 236. Retrieved from http://digscholarship.unco.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1236&context=dissertations
Decker, S. E. and Naugle, A.E. (2008). DBT for Sexual Abuse Survivors: Current Status and Future Directions. JOBA-OVTP, Volume 1, Number 4, pps. 52-68. Retrieved from http://psycnet.apa.org/fulltext/2014-55092-005.pdf
Ditty, M. (2013). Practice Settings and Dialectical Behavior Therapy Implementation: A mixed method analysis. Doctorate in Social Work (DSW) Dissertations. 37. Retrieved from http://repository.upenn.edu/edissertations_sp2/37
Eich, J. (2015). Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Training with Adolescents. Eau Claire, WI: PESI.
Fleischhaker, C., Böhme, R., Sixt, B., Brück, C., Schneider, C. and Schulz, E. (2011). Dialectical Behavioral Therapy for Adolescents (DBT-A): a clinical Trial for Patients with suicidal and self-injurious Behavior and Borderline Symptoms with a one-year Follow-up. Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and Mental Health, 5:3. https://doi.org/10.1186/1753-2000-5-3
Fruzzetti, A. E. (2006). The High Conflict Couple: A Dialectical Behavior Therapy Guide to Finding Peace, Intimacy and Validation. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
Geddes, K., Dziurawiec, S. and Lee, C. W. (2013). Dialectical Behaviour Therapy for the Treatment of Emotion Dysregulation and Trauma Symptoms in Self-Injurious and Suicidal Adolescent Females: A Pilot Programme within a Community-Based Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service. Psychiatry Journal. doi:10.1155/2013/145219
Koerner, K. and Linehan, M. (2011). Doing Dialectical Behavior Therapy: A Practical Guide (Guides to Individualized Evidence-Based Treatment). NY, NY: Guilford.
Lenz, A. S., Taylor, R., Fleming, M. and Serman, N. (2014). Effectiveness of Dialectical Behavior Therapy for Treating Eating Disorders. Journal of Counseling & Development, 92: 26–35. doi:10.1002/j.1556-6676.2014.00127.x
Linehan, M. (2014). DBT Skills Training Manual. NY, NY: Guilford Press.
Linehan M.M. et. al (2015). Dialectical Behavior Therapy for High Suicide Risk in Individuals With Borderline Personality Disorder: A Randomized Clinical Trial and Component Analysis. JAMA Psychiatry, 72(5):475–482. doi:10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2014.3039
Lowenstein, L. (2016). Creative CBT Interventions for Children with Anxiety. Toronto, CA: Champion Press.
May, J.M., Richardi, T.M. and Barth, K.S. (2016) Dialectical behavior therapy as treatment for borderline personality disorder. Mental Health Clinician, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 62-67. https://doi.org/10.9740/mhc.2016.03.62
McKay, M., Wood, J.C. and Brantley, J. (2007). Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook: Practical DBT Exercises for Learning Mindfulness, Interpersonal Effectiveness, Emotion Regulation, & Distress Tolerance. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
McQuaid, J.R. and Carmona, P.E. (2004). Peaceful Mind: Using Mindfulness and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy to Overcome Depression. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
Pederson, L. (2013). Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Training for Integrated Dual Disorder Treatment Setting. Eau Claire, WI: PESI.
Pederson, L. and Pederson, C. (2017). The Expanded Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills Training Manual: DBT for Self-Help and Individual & Group Treatment Settings, 2nd Edition. Eau Claire, WI: PESI.
Spradlin, S.E. (2003) Don’t Let Your Emotions Run Your Life: How Dialectical Behavior Therapy Can Put You in Control, New Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Publications.
Stiglmayr, C. et. al . (2014). Effectiveness of dialectic behavioral therapy in routine outpatient care: the Berlin Borderline Study. Borderline Personality Disorder and Emotion Dysregulation, 1:20. https://doi.org/10.1186/2051-6673-1-20.
Van Dijk, S. (2012). Calming the Emotional Storm: Using Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills to Manage Your Emotions and Balance Your Life. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Press.
Van Dijk, S. (2013). DBT Made Simple: A Step-by-Step Guide to Dialectical Behavior Therapy. Oakland, CA: New Harbinger Press.
Wang, D.C. and Tan, S.Y. (2016). Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT): Empirical Evidence and Clinical Applications from a Christian Perspective. Journal of Psychology and Christianity, Vol 35 (1): 68-xx.
Watson, D. L. and Tharp, R. G. (2001). Self-directed Behavior: Self-modification for Personal Adjustment — Seventh Edition. NY, NY: Brooks/Cole Publishing Company.