Stress Management Techniques: An Overview of What Works
Online Course Materials: Articles
Developed by Barbara Cox, Ph.D.
General Course Description
This intermediate-advanced level course will give an overview of several brief stress reduction methods. First, it will include a discussion of the basic physiology of the stress response. Then, it will focus on techniques that therapists can teach their clients in a relatively brief time frame, including several innovative mind/body techniques to reduce psychophysiological arousal, as well as Cognitive Behavioral techniques to modify attitudes and reactions to stressors. As an added benefit, when you sign up for this course, you will receive complimentary supplemental material to use with your clients.
The course is comprised of four articles. The first article reviews the basic physiology of the stress response. The second article includes a detailed discussion and literature review of various kinds of meditation techniques. The third article discusses several treatment options for addressing stress management. The fourth article provides updates on the latest research and innovative tools in stress management. Additional resources and references are provided for further study, but they are not part of the course.
- This course will teach the participant to
- Review/Discuss the physiology of the stress response.
- Summarize different stress assessment tools and their uses.
- Review several brief treatments for stress-related issues.
- Present a concise discussion of the relevant literature and research supporting these treatments.
- Apply stress management resources.
- Houghton, J. D., Wu, J., Godwin, J. L., Neck, C. P., & Manz, C. C. (2012). Effective stress management: A model of emotional intelligence, self-leadership, and student stress coping. Journal of Management Education, 36(2), 220-238.
- Gardiner, P., Sadikova, E., Filippelli, A. C., Mitchell, S., White, L. F., Saper, R., … & Fredman, L. (2015). Stress Management and Relaxation Techniques use among underserved inpatients in an inner city hospital. Complementary therapies in medicine, 23(3), 405-412.
- Miedziun, P., & Czabała, J. C. (2015). Stress management techniques. Archives of Psychiatry and Psychotherapy, 4, 23-30.
- Overview of the Physiology of the Stress Response
- Research and Effects of Meditation on Stress
- Brief Treatments for Stress-related Issues:
- Assessment: Various tools
- Psychophysiological Techniques
- Breathing Techniques
- Progressive Muscle Relaxation (PMR)
- Guided Imagery Techniques
- Meditation Techniques
- Cognitive-Behavioral Techniques: Combining Guided Imagery and Cognitive-Behavioral Techniques in Psychotherapy
- Social Support
- Acupressure and other alternative medicine approaches
- Journaling Technique